Bammant scores maiden first team hundred for Fakenham - but ends up on losing side
- Credit: Archant
In glorious hot weather Fakenham hosted champions Brooke on Saturday hoping to build on their win over Sprowston the previous week.
They gave a good account of themselves in the Norfolk Alliance Premier Division clash but ended up losing a good, close game by one wicket after posting a more than respectable total of 249-9.
Fakenham won the toss and with an unchanged side decided to bat first. Openers Keegan Monahan-Fairlie and Harry Bammant started steadily against some accurate bowling before the former gave a simple catch to wide mid-on to lose his wicket for 20 with the score on 60.
Replacement Harrison Futter caught the faintest of edges to go for a duck and Fakenham then sliped to 101-4 as Lloyd Marshall (6) and captain Will Dunger (5) both went cheaply.
Peter Matthews was next in the firing line and the sense of relief could be felt round the ground as he settled in, making life easier for Bammant, whose 50 came in the 34th over,
You may also want to watch:
Matthews eventually went for 16 to what looked like a harsh lbw decision and Dave Coyle then continued the good work with an innings of 33 as Fakenham got up to 215-6.
The tail helped take the score to 246-9 and ensure Bammant’s maiden century for the first XI, with the youngster finally being bowled off the last delivery of the game by John Habershon for 116.
- 1 Youngsters camp out for 'Sharkitude' leavers event
- 2 Where you are most likely to get your bike stolen in Norfolk
- 3 First look at adventure trail ahead of opening
- 4 Council leader accused of operating 'small cabal'
- 5 Fakenham Figures - Pensthorpe manager reveals his love for north Norfolk
- 6 Community brings flower power to village streets
- 7 Jerome Mayhew talks about the things he loves in Norfolk
- 8 Thunderstorms and heavy rain warning for Norfolk
- 9 Ever fancied 'forest bathing'? How being close to nature can ease stress
- 10 'He shouldn't be getting abuse' - Fakenham pubs react to landlord's vax stance
After losing Daniel Vihm, Rob Panter and Ben Watson to slip to 55-3, with Steve Earl taking a couple of wickets, Brooke regained control as Gary Chirimuuta (52) and Matthew Collinge (45) put on 71 for the fourth wicket.
If containment could have been imposed then it would have helped the Fakenham cause but Ed Sturman with 27 and Sam Clabburn with 50 started to make it much easier for the visitors.
Brooke were 225-6 with seven overs to go but a flurry of wickets then gave Fakenham hope as suddenly the score was 233-9 with three overs to go. But Brooke played sensibly and finally secured the victory in the 48th over.
Earl finished with 4-42 for Fakenham while Monahan-Fairlie and Coyle both took two wickets.
Fakenham are away to North Runcton on Saturday (1pm).