Battling rugby team gets its reward
Fakenham 14, Holt 6DETERMINED Fakenham played for 70 minutes with 14 men in this rugby derby to improve hopes of avoiding relegation.They started the brighter of the two teams, playing into a very strong head wind.
Fakenham 14, Holt 6
DETERMINED Fakenham played for 70 minutes with 14 men in this rugby derby to improve hopes of avoiding relegation.
They started the brighter of the two teams, playing into a very strong head wind.
Holt put pressure on with the wind in their favour but Fakenham's strong defence kept them at range.
You may also want to watch:
After a strong midfield battle where Fakenham were putting in very strong tackles they conceded a penalty in range for Derbyshire to convert.
Fakenham's response was strong and determined and they played their way upfield and from a line-out a long passage of possession saw the immense Jonno Strong cross the line for Fakenham's first try (nconverted).
- 1 Flooding concerns over plans for 12 village homes
- 2 'Slow down, save lives' - Police launch speed awareness campaign
- 3 'We'll miss it' - Rector leaves town's church after six years
- 4 Retired landlady died at home after asbestos exposure, inquest hears
- 5 Met office issue weather warnings for thunderstorms in parts of Norfolk
- 6 Renowned violinist to play at Nelson's village church
- 7 Ever fancied 'forest bathing'? How being close to nature can ease stress
- 8 Your say - Covid passports, good or bad idea?
- 9 A love letter to Norfolk - Poem written more than 50 years ago discovered in book
- 10 Heavy rain and thunder set to continue with weather warnings in place
Fakenham's chances seemed to take a blow when Williamson was yellow carded for a very powerful tackle, only to see this turn into a red card for dissent.
Fakenham played the remaining 70 minutes with
14 players. Luke Warden filled in at centre and Fakenham's seven-man pack played on as if they had 10.
The second half saw Fakenham use the wind to better effect and pile the pressure on Holt.
Bane Young converted a penalty from the halfway line to extend the lead. Holt came back and Derbyshire added another three for Holt.
Fakenham's team then went up another gear and this time Holt had no answer and Bane Young converted another two penalties from the halfway line again.
Fakenham can take heart from this game. As 14 men played with such passion, surely they can only move forward?