Battling rugby team gets its reward
Fakenham 14, Holt 6DETERMINED Fakenham played for 70 minutes with 14 men in this rugby derby to improve hopes of avoiding relegation.They started the brighter of the two teams, playing into a very strong head wind.
Fakenham 14, Holt 6
DETERMINED Fakenham played for 70 minutes with 14 men in this rugby derby to improve hopes of avoiding relegation.
They started the brighter of the two teams, playing into a very strong head wind.
Holt put pressure on with the wind in their favour but Fakenham's strong defence kept them at range.
You may also want to watch:
After a strong midfield battle where Fakenham were putting in very strong tackles they conceded a penalty in range for Derbyshire to convert.
Fakenham's response was strong and determined and they played their way upfield and from a line-out a long passage of possession saw the immense Jonno Strong cross the line for Fakenham's first try (nconverted).
- 1 'That's when reality hit' - Footballer speaks about life changing weekend
- 2 'It's a dream' - Wedding shop opens up in Fakenham
- 3 Norfolk has no Covid patients in critical care for first time in six months
- 4 Covid vaccine rollout shifts dramatically in favour of second doses
- 5 7 outdoor events happening in Norfolk and Waveney this weekend
- 6 Stately home to host work by famous sculptor
- 7 On the buses: Mobile Covid vaccination service is launched
- 8 Door-to-door salesman charged after 'aggression' complaints
- 9 Day of two halves - Footballer wins £80,000 and breaks leg in 24 hours
- 10 'Back doing what I love' - Fakenham welcomes another 'new normal'
Fakenham's chances seemed to take a blow when Williamson was yellow carded for a very powerful tackle, only to see this turn into a red card for dissent.
Fakenham played the remaining 70 minutes with
14 players. Luke Warden filled in at centre and Fakenham's seven-man pack played on as if they had 10.
The second half saw Fakenham use the wind to better effect and pile the pressure on Holt.
Bane Young converted a penalty from the halfway line to extend the lead. Holt came back and Derbyshire added another three for Holt.
Fakenham's team then went up another gear and this time Holt had no answer and Bane Young converted another two penalties from the halfway line again.
Fakenham can take heart from this game. As 14 men played with such passion, surely they can only move forward?