Big rugby win for Fakenham
Thetford 25, Fakenham 46Fakenham's sterling efforts over the last few weeks finally got their reward when a very young squad travelled to Thetford. From the start this Eastern Counties Division One game was played at a furious pace.
Thetford 25, Fakenham 46
Fakenham's sterling efforts over the last few weeks finally got their reward when a very young squad travelled to Thetford. From the start this Eastern Counties Division One game was played at a furious pace.
Thetford opened the scoring with an unconverted try after only seven minutes. Fakenham replied with a try from Williamson (converted Baldock) after another 10 minutes. However within five minutes Thetford scored another try which this time was converted.
Fakenham hit back with a try from Allen (converted Baldock). This seesaw play continued with another unconverted try from Thetford while Baldock continued his excellent game with a penalty which made the score 17 all.
You may also want to watch:
Then just before half-time a good forward drive allowed Richardson to drop a goal which made the score at the interval 20-17 to the visitors.
The second half started at a strong pace again but it took Fakenham 15 minutes to break through with Williamson scoring his second try (converted Baldock).
- 1 Rugby club left 'frustrated' after finding dog mess on their pitch
- 2 Vandals leave £80,000 trail of destruction in car park
- 3 Surgery turns away people asking for 'spare' Covid vaccines
- 4 Norfolk to get rapid Covid test sites - to find people without symptoms
- 5 'She was a fighter'- Tributes to music-loving Kelsey, 27
- 6 Man who died in west Norfolk crash named
- 7 Grab your binoculars to see the Moon, Mars and Uranus together
- 8 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 9 Is your surname on this list? You could inherit a fortune
- 10 Free art classes from award-winning artist on offer
Thetford came back with a penalty as Fakenham struggled with discipline. They soon reorganised and regained their composure, allowing Allen to score his second try. This was quickly followed by a try from Spearing who cottoned on to some mistakes from Thetford. This impressive individual effort was again converted by Baldock.
Thetford refused to give in and scored a breakaway try to make the score 39-25 with three minutes to go.
Fakenham were not finishedand Williamson scored his third (again reliably converted by Baldock), making the final score 46-25 to Fakenham.
The very young Fakenham forwards created many good chances for the backs. They also tackled well to deny Thetford the ball. There were too many good performances to mention each individually but Man of the Match award went to No 8 James Cergison.
On Saturday Fakenham are at home to Thurston in another vital Eastern Counties One game.
Any new or returning players who would like to join Fakenham RFC will be made most welcome. Just come along to training at the old Wells Road clubhouse on Tuesday or Thursday 7-9pm.