Big rugby win for Fakenham
Thetford 25, Fakenham 46Fakenham's sterling efforts over the last few weeks finally got their reward when a very young squad travelled to Thetford. From the start this Eastern Counties Division One game was played at a furious pace.
Thetford 25, Fakenham 46
Fakenham's sterling efforts over the last few weeks finally got their reward when a very young squad travelled to Thetford. From the start this Eastern Counties Division One game was played at a furious pace.
Thetford opened the scoring with an unconverted try after only seven minutes. Fakenham replied with a try from Williamson (converted Baldock) after another 10 minutes. However within five minutes Thetford scored another try which this time was converted.
Fakenham hit back with a try from Allen (converted Baldock). This seesaw play continued with another unconverted try from Thetford while Baldock continued his excellent game with a penalty which made the score 17 all.
You may also want to watch:
Then just before half-time a good forward drive allowed Richardson to drop a goal which made the score at the interval 20-17 to the visitors.
The second half started at a strong pace again but it took Fakenham 15 minutes to break through with Williamson scoring his second try (converted Baldock).
- 1 Your say - Covid passports, good or bad idea?
- 2 Review: 'My new favourite' - excellent dishes at country coaching inn
- 3 Last man alive to be born at country home celebrates 100th birthday
- 4 Fakenham Figures - Pensthorpe manager reveals his love for north Norfolk
- 5 Parkruns return to Norfolk for first time since Covid
- 6 Lifeboat launched to rescue broken down 30ft cruiser
- 7 Youngsters camp out for 'Sharkitude' leavers event
- 8 'He shouldn't be getting abuse' - Fakenham pubs react to landlord's vax stance
- 9 Free lunch offer for mystery man who paid for woman's Lidl shopping
- 10 I don't fear change in north Norfolk - just keep what makes it special
Thetford came back with a penalty as Fakenham struggled with discipline. They soon reorganised and regained their composure, allowing Allen to score his second try. This was quickly followed by a try from Spearing who cottoned on to some mistakes from Thetford. This impressive individual effort was again converted by Baldock.
Thetford refused to give in and scored a breakaway try to make the score 39-25 with three minutes to go.
Fakenham were not finishedand Williamson scored his third (again reliably converted by Baldock), making the final score 46-25 to Fakenham.
The very young Fakenham forwards created many good chances for the backs. They also tackled well to deny Thetford the ball. There were too many good performances to mention each individually but Man of the Match award went to No 8 James Cergison.
On Saturday Fakenham are at home to Thurston in another vital Eastern Counties One game.
Any new or returning players who would like to join Fakenham RFC will be made most welcome. Just come along to training at the old Wells Road clubhouse on Tuesday or Thursday 7-9pm.