City signing's Fakenham link
Former Fakenham High School student Matthew Gill is Norwich City manager Bryan Gunn's first summer signing.The 28-year-old midfielder has signed a two-year contract after joining on a free transfer from Exeter City.
Former Fakenham High School student Matthew Gill is Norwich City manager Bryan Gunn's first summer signing.
The 28-year-old midfielder has signed a two-year contract after joining on a free transfer from Exeter City. He will be the third player with Fakenham connections to represent the Canaries in recent years, following in the footsteps of brothers Ryan and Rossi Jarvis.
Matthew owns Premier Racquets and Fitness in Sedgeford with older brother Darren, a former City trainee who played for Fakenham Town before beginning a championship and cup-winning career with Wroxham.
Norwich-born Matthew, whose parents now live in Holt, was released from City's Centre of Excellence as a 10-year-old before making the grade at Peterborough, Notts County and then helping the Grecians secure back-to-back promotions from the Conference to League One.
You may also want to watch:
Fakenham Town fans will now be wondering if Matthew will be part of the Canaries' squad to play at Clipbush Park on July 10.
Matthew admitted he would have “walked from Devon” to sign for his childhood favourites. “It's an unbelievable opportunity to come back and hopefully put on the yellow and green shirt. Not just for me but my family as well. They're ecstatic with the move.”
- 1 'Lost a couple of staff members a day' - how the 'pingdemic' is hitting Norfolk
- 2 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 3 Your say - Covid passports, good or bad idea?
- 4 Vaccine volunteers thank businesses for 'undiluted' support
- 5 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 6 Fakenham Figures - Pensthorpe manager reveals his love for north Norfolk
- 7 First look at adventure trail ahead of opening
- 8 Where you are most likely to get your bike stolen in Norfolk
- 9 Youngsters camp out for 'Sharkitude' leavers event
- 10 Review: 'My new favourite' - excellent dishes at country coaching inn
Voted the players' player of the season after a fine campaign for Exteter at St James' Park, Matthew said it was not a difficult decision to join a Norwich side who will play his old team in League One next season.