Cup fever grips Ghosts ahead of Senior Cup semi against Harleston
- Credit: Archant
Cup fever is hotting up in Fakenham ahead of next week’s Norfolk Senior Cup semi-final.
The Ghosts are gearing up to take on Harleston on Wednesday, March 15, at the Football Development Centre in Bowthorpe, Norwich, with kick off at 7.30pm. Admission is adults £5 with concessions £3.
A supporters coach has been organised after the tremendous following the Ghosts received at their replayed quarter-final fixture at Diss, when a Josh Youngs header sent Fakenham through in the 85th minute, after George Abbott’s opener had been cancelled out.
There are still spaces on the coach available to pre-book at £5 at Fakenham’s home Reserve game on Saturday against Hemsby.
The first team welcomed Haverhill to Clipbush Park on Saturday, and despite taking the lead midway through the first half, fell to a 1-2 defeat.
You may also want to watch:
After a cagey start by both sides, the deadlock was broken after 23 minutes when a Garner cross was flicked on by Glover to Jackson behind him, who made no mistake in opening his Ghosts goal account from eight yards.
The lead lasted just over 10 minutes, when Tommy Rix was beaten from the penalty spot, having felled the Haverhill striker.
- 1 Property labelled a 'carbuncle' served urgent works notice
- 2 World War One commemorative statue stolen
- 3 Former sixth form land could be divided up and sold
- 4 Why were barriers blocking these town centre benches?
- 5 Application for eight new Fakenham homes is scrapped
- 6 Fakenham's Salvation Army forms two new groups
- 7 Trio launch new bell tent venture with a twist
- 8 Vital Fakenham charity secures future and gets back to business
- 9 Hotel says bookings up a week on from Sunday Times nod
- 10 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
The Ghosts almost retook the lead immediately, but George Abbott’s shot flew just wide of the post. A header from Ashley Jarvis then forced the visiting keeper into a flying save.
The visitors started the second half in full flow and scored what ultimately turned out to be the winner less than two minutes after the restart – a lapse in concentration allowing the striker to skip through the defence and slot past Rix.
The best chance of the half for the Ghosts came when a Matt Gilchrist header rattled the Haverhill post late on.
Before their cup exploits continue on Wednesday, the Ghosts travel to face Hadleigh United on Saturday in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division, 3pm.
At the weekend there was a 0-7 defeat at Clipbush Park for Fakenham Ladies, who make the trip to Sprowston in the Plate this Sunday.
The twice postponed Under 18s Youth Cup fixture against Sheringham was due to have taken place last night.