Evergreens battle well
Fakenham Evergreens II 1, Harleston Magpies II 2Evergreens entertained second placed Harleston Magpies IV at Gresham's in this Martin & Acock League Division Two in only Fakenham's second game after Christmas.
Fakenham Evergreens II 1, Harleston Magpies II 2
Evergreens entertained second placed Harleston Magpies IV at Gresham's in this Martin & Acock League Division Two in only Fakenham's second game after Christmas.
Tough as they find getting a team, playing with 10 players they have to congratulate themselves for an exceptional, entertaining hard fought effort in which they unfortunately came out the losers.
On an icy pitch, the game flowed very quickly, Magpies making it a tough contest with their strong team, but Evergreens matched them with determination and great team play.
You may also want to watch:
Energetic Dee Clipston taking on two left sided roles caused them chaos, backed up well by Ann Mann. Very fast down the right side, youngster Chantelle Baker tormented Magpies' defence with her pace. Fakenham displayed excellent resilience throughout the team, Lesley Stratton holding her own in the centre back role with Nicola Moulton supporting well on the right.
But two minutes before half-time Harleston broke away. Goalie Yvonne Clipston, playing a blinder throughout, stopped the first shot but the ball came back for the Magpie's forward to knock the ball into the net with the defenders not quite able to get there.
- 1 Rubbish dating back 40 years found in Fakenham litter pick
- 2 'Proud as punch' - Sports centre delighted with renovations
- 3 Campaigner 'more convinced than ever' about new light rail link
- 4 Street light debate councillor says education would stop fear of dark
- 5 'Absolutely fantastic' - Mid-Norfolk pubs enjoy first Saturday back
- 6 WATCH: Delighted Delia Smith leads Canaries fans in Emi Buendia sing song
- 7 'That's when reality hit' - Footballer speaks about life changing weekend
- 8 Rescue drama as kayaker spotted 'clinging to a buoy'
- 9 9 things that have changed in Dereham since lockdown one
- 10 'Back doing what I love' - Fakenham welcomes another 'new normal'
Evergreens second half started off a bit shaky. Mid-half, from a corner from Trudi Moulton, Kathryn Gordon sent a cracking shot the backboard for 1-1.
Pressure from Harleston with that extra player started to tell on Greens, as they had the bulk of possession with many corners and hits just outside Evergreens area. Just one too many came for Evergreens as Magpies broke through with only minutes to go. A deflection off an Evergreens defender's stick wrong-footed the keeper. The whole team worked tirelessly throughout, and very sportingly.
Squad: Yvonne Clipston, Trudi Moulton, Lesley Stratton, Ann Mann, Nicola Moulton, Hannah Stephen, Dee Clipston, Chantelle Baker, Kathryn Gordon, Maise House.