Exhibition of skills from Fakenham Table Tennis League
Fakenham Table Tennis League held an exhibition evening at the town’s Community Centre last Thursday.
Eastern regional coach Stephen Gertsen, along with Norwich-based star Neil Charles, demonstrated their skills in front of an enthusiastic crowd of more than 50 people from the surrounding area.
Gertsen has represented Wales at the Worlds, Euros and Commonwealth Games in 2010, and is a former Wales and British Under-18 winner. Charles is currently ranked 27 in England and No 2 in the Veterans, and has represented Middlesex more than 100 times.
Youngsters from the local league received coaching from Gertsen and Charles and stepped up to the task under pressure of playing in front of the crowd. Gertsen was then challenged by Dan Bullen, a member of the eastern regional squad who will be competing in the UK School Games in May at the London Excel. Bullen, a future Paralympics prospect, insisted Gertsen also used a chair to play his match; Gertsen duly obliged and took the victory.
Fakenham League’s No 1 Neil Howell then challenged Charles to a showdown with Charles taking no prisoners and running out a 2-0 winner. Chris Fuller, who was instrumental in organizing the evening and is the league’s second highest player, then stepped up to take on Gertsen with Gertsen running out a 2-0 winner.
You may also want to watch:
The event was a massive success and it was a fantastic night for all involved.
For more information on table tennis in Fakenham visit www.standbrook-guides.com/towns/organisations/table-tennis-in-fakenham.html
- 1 Town faces more disruption after resurfacing fails
- 2 Council agrees to fell "high risk tree" - despite protection order
- 3 'My heart was racing' - Horse rider's shocking encounter with speeding van
- 4 Waits for second Covid jabs on target in our region
- 5 Chocolate factory gets coronavirus cases down to two following outbreak
- 6 Developer says dozens show interest in new homes despite council concerns
- 7 Walsingham Pilgrimage planning 'restricted' return
- 8 Pub start weekly lockdown Bake Off challenge
- 9 Concern people are letting their guards down after getting Covid-19 jabs
- 10 Councillor asks people to speak up after confronting lockdown rule breakers