Fakenham are on a roll in Eastern Counties Two North
- Credit: Archant
Red-hot Fakenham made it 11 matches unbeaten on Saturday and moved level on points with fierce rivals Dereham, writes Mike Wyatt.
The battle for Norfolk bragging rights was being comfortably won by the latter earlier this season but a dramatic change in both clubs’ fortunes has seen them separated only by points difference in Eastern Counties Two North. While Dereham, fourth, were being humbled by Medics, Fakenham, now fifth, joined them on 54 points thanks to an impressive 47-5 victory at Norwich Union.
The visitors’ Paul Richardson switched the play to the blindside and fed Steven Clay early on who bustled and barged his way over the line to score the opening points of the game. Fakenham’s second try was scored by Tom Bane-Young after a well worked backs move. The kick was converted by Lloyd Marshall.
Union were lifted when Richardson’s pass was intercepted by the centre and touched down to score the try but it was unconverted. However, the away side would add a penalty to take a 15-5 lead into the interval.
After the break, number eight Howard Kellock finished off a super scrum from the forwards to score the try which was converted by Marshall. Another attack again forced a five-metre scrum and Kellock once more found the line from the base of the scrum to score the fourth try and secure the try bonus point – but the kick was missed.
You may also want to watch:
Marshall would make up for his missed try conversion less than five minutes later by converting a penalty to take the score to a very respectful 30-5. Further scores from Marshall, who also kicked the extras, man-of-the-match debutant Luke Taylor and Jack Whiteside wrapped up the convincing victory.
On Saturday, Fakenham will face promotion hopefuls Diss seconds, currently top, at home in their penultimate fixture of the season. Fakenham seconds visit their Norwich Union counterparts. Both games will kick-off 3pm.
- 1 Your say: What is your favourite TV show ever?
- 2 Vineyard's £250,000 new winery presses its first grapes
- 3 Are Fakenham businesses seeing an early rush for Christmas shopping?
- 4 Why were barriers blocking these town centre benches?
- 5 Natalie Imbruglia announced for major new festival at Norfolk estate
- 6 Property spotlight: See inside this barn conversion for sale for £1.6m
- 7 Thursford pumpkin house opens for its fourth year
- 8 Plans for Fakenham remembrance services announced
- 9 RNLI to add 5,000 more names to new lifeboat
- 10 Do you remember these shocking scenes from floods of the past?