Fakenham CC win to give themselves a good chance of survival
- Credit: Archant
Fakenham claimed a crucial win at Garboldisham on Saturday to move out of the Norfolk Alliance Premier Division relegation zone - and give themselves a good chance of avoiding the drop.
Captain Dave Coyle won the toss and elected to bat in a match reduced to 40 overs a side by the weather forecast.
Keegan Monahan-Fairlie and Harrison Futter started in fluent style, with the 100 coming up in the 15th over before Futter went for a well-struck 50 after edging on to his stumps.
Monahan-Fairlie was then bowled for 44 to leave Fakenham on 124-2. Following a break for rain Lloyd Marshall was stumped for five and Will Dunger was adjudged lbw for 15 before Tom Yarham and Tatenda Chirazda played cameos of 17 and 20 respectively.
Billy Buckingham did not trouble the scorers and it was left to Coyle and Joe Bane-Young to add 37 to take the total to 218-7, a very good performance in the conditions.
The opening bowling of Marshall and Chirazda was both hostile and accurate and Garboldisham lost their first wicket with an excellent catch by Dunger off Marshall’s bowling seeing off opener Cash. Chirazda struck three runs later with a brilliant diving caught and bowled to remove the other opener Constable for five and there was more success as Chirazda had Hogg caught by Marshall for two to make it 24-3.
Runs came slowly with no more wickets falling as the total advanced to 45 but then Steve Earl trapped Phoenix lbw for five. Two runs later Earl struck again, Marshall taking another good catch to remove Leech for eight. A change of bowling to Yin Lo brought the next success, Allin caught behind by Yarham for two. Another catch to Dunger of Lo’s bowling removed Walker for a top scoring 28 to make it 86-7 and Shepherd was run out for two before Lo and Coyle got the last two wickets to leave Garboldisham 123 all out off 34.5 overs.
- 1 Norfolk deli owner suffers severe spinal injuries in Ibiza diving accident
- 2 Revealed: Where dangerous parasite has been reported in Norfolk
- 3 Interim parish council takes office after mass resignations
- 4 Like 'salt in the wound' - Councillor laments wind farm move
- 5 Revealed: The towns and villages where metal thieves have struck
- 6 'Lucky' receptionist retires after 50 years at estate agents
- 7 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 8 School's new classroom unveiled following £100,000 fundraiser
- 9 Headteacher set to depart school after 'proud' 12 years
- 10 Leisure centres to stay open despite rising costs, says council
Cooke’s Man-of-the-march went to Futter for his fine knock that set Fakenham up for a win which lifted them out of the relegation area and put Garboldisham into it. Next up is a home game against bottom side Sprowston on Saturday (1pm).
Sunday also saw Futter captain the Sunday side to an emphatic win over Denver to remain firmly on ntop of the Division One of the Mid-Norfolk League.