Fakenham close to safety as Dunger’s ton sets up third straight win
- Credit: Archant
Fakenham took a giant step towards preserving their Norfolk Alliance Premier Division status at the weekend when they recorded a third successive victory.
Will Dunger was the hero with a brilliant century as Fakenham came away from Brooke with an impressive 60 run win which left them 19 points clear of the drop zone with just one match left to play.
They need seven points from their final fixture of the season at home to North Runcton on Saturday (12.30pm) to guarantee safety - but with three sides below them and bottom team Sprowston already doomed it would take a strange set of results to upset the applecart now.
Even if an in-form Fakenham were to lose at the weekend Horsford A would need to win at champions Downham Town to finish above them - while third from bottom Garboldisham would also need to win at Acle to set the nerve ends jangling.
After winning the toss Fakenham opted to bat first at the 2016 champions and Dunger quickly took centre stage after Harrison Futter had been dismissed for 14 with the score on 23.
You may also want to watch:
Aided by a variety of partners he recorded his first league century since 2014, making 113 in 127 balls with eight fours and six sixes.
Opener Keegan Monahan Fairlie was the next highest scorer with 20, while a series of useful support innings down the order – and no fewer than 42 wides - helped the visitors up to 252-8 in their 50 overs.
- 1 Chocolate factory gets coronavirus cases down to two following outbreak
- 2 Medal of US airman who saved 18 lives in 1953 floods returns to Norfolk
- 3 Ice warning after freezing temperatures overnight
- 4 Covid led to huge fall in Norfolk parking fines and £1.3m budget hole
- 5 Second Banksy-style doctor street art appears outside vaccination centre
- 6 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 7 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 8 Surgery turns away people asking for 'spare' Covid vaccines
- 9 Every Child Online: Funds flood in to schemes around the county
- 10 Teenager creates bucket list for 'amazing' dog after cancer diagnosis
In reply an excellent bowling effort saw Brooke dismissed for 192 in the 45th over, Gary Chirimuuta top scoring with 42.
Steve Earl led the way with 4-33, while David Coyle posted the eye-catching figures of 8-3-8-3 and Monahan Fairlie took 2-11.
Fakenham A look safe in DIvision Three, despite losing to bottom side North Runcton A by three wickets. They are 25 points clear of the relegation places and need just one point from their final match at Bungay to be absolutely sure of staying up.
Fakenham made 158-6, Sam Blackiston top scoring with 47, with their visitors finishing on 159-7 as Finn Lowe took 3-20.