Fakenham close to safety as Dunger’s ton sets up third straight win
- Credit: Archant
Fakenham took a giant step towards preserving their Norfolk Alliance Premier Division status at the weekend when they recorded a third successive victory.
Will Dunger was the hero with a brilliant century as Fakenham came away from Brooke with an impressive 60 run win which left them 19 points clear of the drop zone with just one match left to play.
They need seven points from their final fixture of the season at home to North Runcton on Saturday (12.30pm) to guarantee safety - but with three sides below them and bottom team Sprowston already doomed it would take a strange set of results to upset the applecart now.
Even if an in-form Fakenham were to lose at the weekend Horsford A would need to win at champions Downham Town to finish above them - while third from bottom Garboldisham would also need to win at Acle to set the nerve ends jangling.
After winning the toss Fakenham opted to bat first at the 2016 champions and Dunger quickly took centre stage after Harrison Futter had been dismissed for 14 with the score on 23.
You may also want to watch:
Aided by a variety of partners he recorded his first league century since 2014, making 113 in 127 balls with eight fours and six sixes.
Opener Keegan Monahan Fairlie was the next highest scorer with 20, while a series of useful support innings down the order – and no fewer than 42 wides - helped the visitors up to 252-8 in their 50 overs.
- 1 Rubbish dating back 40 years found in market town litter pick
- 2 'Absolutely fantastic' - Mid-Norfolk pubs enjoy first Saturday back
- 3 Campaigner 'more convinced than ever' about new light rail link
- 4 WATCH: Delighted Delia Smith leads Canaries fans in Emi Buendia sing song
- 5 Rescue drama as kayaker spotted 'clinging to a buoy'
- 6 Door-to-door salesman charged after 'aggression' complaints
- 7 'Thank you for everything' - How Norfolk marked Duke of Edinburgh's funeral
- 8 'That's when reality hit' - Footballer speaks about life changing weekend
- 9 9 things that have changed in Dereham since lockdown one
- 10 'Absolutely fantastic' - Wells welcomes back punters as lockdown eases
In reply an excellent bowling effort saw Brooke dismissed for 192 in the 45th over, Gary Chirimuuta top scoring with 42.
Steve Earl led the way with 4-33, while David Coyle posted the eye-catching figures of 8-3-8-3 and Monahan Fairlie took 2-11.
Fakenham A look safe in DIvision Three, despite losing to bottom side North Runcton A by three wickets. They are 25 points clear of the relegation places and need just one point from their final match at Bungay to be absolutely sure of staying up.
Fakenham made 158-6, Sam Blackiston top scoring with 47, with their visitors finishing on 159-7 as Finn Lowe took 3-20.