Fakenham come up short as they go for back to back wins
- Credit: Archant
Fakenham were unable to build on the previous week’s victory at Acle as they lost a tight game to visitors Garboldisham by four wickets.
The hosts won the toss and elected to bat first and openers Keegan Monaham-Fairlie and Harry Blackiston soon settled into a groove of steadily accumulating runs.
Garboldisham’s bowling was accurate and the run rate was kept well in check, only 62 runs coming from the first 20 overs on what looked like a good batting surface.
The first wicket finally fell in the 26th over when Gavin Barnes comprehensively bowled Blackiston for 35 for the first of his four wickets, with the total on 83-1.
Monahan-Fairlie was out at the start of the next over caught by Tom Davey off the bowling of Dan Constable for 41 and another two wickets followed in quick succession to reduce Fakenham to 99-4 after 31 overs.
You may also want to watch:
Tom Yarham and Dave Coyle tried hard to retrieve the position with 22 and 36 not out respectively but after 50 overs, Fakenham’s total was 186-8, probably some 40 to 50 runs short of a par score for the day.
Garboldisham’s innings started in similar fashion to Fakenham’s with a steady accumulation of runs. Steve Earle replaced opener Chathura Peiris in an effort to restrict the run rate, Coyle at the other end being his usual miserly self.
- 1 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 2 A148 shut for 'most of morning' after serious crash
- 3 'It's opened my eyes' - What is it really like having coronavirus?
- 4 Banksy-style doctor street art appears on shop front
- 5 Hundreds of homes across Norfolk hit by power cut
- 6 Met Office warns of snow at weekend
- 7 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 8 Roofer warns against 'Good Samaritan' scammers
- 9 Ofsted visits Norfolk school to see how it copes with Covid
- 10 'Sickened' car dealer watches thieves on CCTV
Success came in the 15th over when Cookes of Fakenham man-of-the-match Monahan-Fairlie had Tom Davey caught behind by Tom Yarham for 19 with the total on 53-1.
Hopes were raised even more when six overs later the next wicket fell, a good catch by Yin Lo on the deep backward square boundary accounting for Allin off the bowling of Monahan-Fairlie.
The next wicket added another 38 before Monahan-Fairlie claimed his third wicket of the day when he had opener Dan Constable smartly stumped by Yarham for 43.
More changes saw William Buckingham and Lo in action with Buckingham picking up two wickets to Lo’s one, but the low total proved too difficult to defend and Garboldisham reached 187-6 with three overs to spare.
On Saturday Fakenham visit to Sprowston in their latest Norfolk Alliance Premier Division fixture (1pm).