Fakenham claim emphatic win after bowling visitors out for just 57
- Credit: Archant
Fakenham produced their most comprehensive performance for some time to defeat Garboldisham by 191 runs.
Put in to bat first, Fakenham reached 25 without loss in quick time in the Norfolk Alliance Premier Division fixture, with both Harry Bammant and Keegan Monaghan-Fairlie showing signs of a return to form.
It wasn’t to last however as in the space of four balls both batsmen were dismissed by Phil King.
Ben Harvey and Luke Caswell settled any jitters, displaying attacking intent in the face of some good tight bowling.
Having moved the score on to 80-2 off 25 overs, Caswell departed whilst trying to up the tempo and this brought John Ewart to the crease and he gave a catch that was dropped with his score on one, a miss that was to prove expensive.
You may also want to watch:
From then on both Harvey and in particular Ewart took complete control and both passed the 50 mark almost together, only for Ewart to give a catch when he had scored 55. But he had help set a platform for late innings flurries from Harrison Futter (14) and Will Dunger (34) at better than a run a ball to help Fakenham secure full batting points and end on a commanding 248-6.
With the wicket flat, the outfield fast and weather in the batsmen’s favour, Fakenham knew they had to perform at their best for the first 10 overs with the new ball, and at their best they were.
- 1 'That's when reality hit' - Footballer speaks about life changing weekend
- 2 'It's a dream' - Wedding shop opens up in Fakenham
- 3 Norfolk has no Covid patients in critical care for first time in six months
- 4 Covid vaccine rollout shifts dramatically in favour of second doses
- 5 7 outdoor events happening in Norfolk and Waveney this weekend
- 6 Stately home to host work by famous sculptor
- 7 Door-to-door salesman charged after 'aggression' complaints
- 8 On the buses: Mobile Covid vaccination service is launched
- 9 Day of two halves - Footballer wins £80,000 and breaks leg in 24 hours
- 10 'Back doing what I love' - Fakenham welcomes another 'new normal'
Caswell and Lloyd Marshall both bowled tightly, restricting Garboldisham to three runs an over for the first eight overs before an unbelievable 30 minute spell of excellent bowling left the visitors’ innings in tatters.
Caswell with two wickets in an over set the scene, but he was overshadowed in the next over when Marshall took three wickets in four deliveries.
Ash Layer replaced Caswell at the one end and he responded with a wicket with his first delivery and later followed it up with three more wickets, including a stunning caught and bowled.
It was the best Fakenham all round display seen for a while and left Garboldisham somewhat shell shocked. Caswell (2), Marshall (4) Layer (4) shared the wickets in an outstanding bowling display as the visitors were bowled out for just 57.
Lloyd Marshall collected the man of the match award for his opening burst of bowling to rip the heart out of the Garboldisham batting line-up.