Fakenham cup hopes disappear

Mattishall hit the Norfolk Senior Cup fourth-round headlines with a win at Diss on Friday night.Seven-times winners of the trophy Fakenham Town, however, bowed out.

Mattishall hit the Norfolk Senior Cup fourth-round headlines with a win at Diss on Friday night.

Seven-times winners of the trophy Fakenham Town, however, bowed out.

Mattishall, third-bottom of the Anglian Combination Premier Division, came from a goal down to beat their Ridgeons First Division promotion-chasing hosts 2-1 on Friday night after extra time and will be listening intently to tomorrow night's quarter-finals draw on Radio Norfolk's 6.30pm programme.

Spixworth, two places above Mattishall, knocked out cup holders King's Lynn Reserves on Saturday, with Ridgeons Premier Dereham winning 2-1 at Anglian Combination title hopefuls North Walsham and struggling Fakenham going down 3-0 at Norwich United from the Ridgeons division above them.

Diss accepted Mattishall deserved their triumph. The first half was open and even. Mattishall had more of the second-half attacking but could not force a winning goal until late in first-half extra time.

The Tangerines took the lead in the 14th minute when Stuart Jenkinson created an opening inside the penalty area to shoot in low at the near post from nine yards. Diss had a 'goal' ruled out in the 27th minute following a great run from Peter Hooks. His low centre was turned in by a defender but Xavier Huckle was ruled offside.

Most Read

Mattishall equalised in the 39th minute when Gary Starling curled his left-foot free-kick past the defending wall and in off the inside of the near post.

The winner came from a patient build-up which ended with the ball being played out to Chris Hall on the right. He cut inside and sent a left-foot shot curling shot high into the top far corner.

Seven minutes from time Diss' Matt Adcock was sent off, Skipp had a great chance to send the game to a replay but shot wide, and after the final whistle the home side's Huckle was sent off for a comment to the referee.

Dereham saw Walsham score first but equalised through skipper Graham Barett's header from Craig Terrington's looping cross.

The Angels were reduced to 10 men before James Hadley headed home the Magpies' winner from a Terrington corner.

At Plantation Park, Fakenham trailed at half-time to a Mat Robinson strike after 16 minutes.

A cross was only half cleared to Robinson who stepped inside a challenge before curling a shot into the top corner from just inside the area.

Having been on the back foot and with the Planters failing to extend the lead the Ghosts went close to grabbing a goal four minutes before the break.

Toby Harris, capitalising on a rare mistake in the home defence, drove toward the byline where he hit a chip shot beyond Ben Nower only to see it come back off the far post. Ed Skinner following up hit a shot on target only to see Nower scramble across to claw it away on the line.

The Planters finally increased their advantage three minutes after the break, Paul Atkins curling a free-kick home off the inside of the near post giving Sean Cooper no chance.

Robinson saw his shot hit the post squarely and Hunter was denied by a defending block.

Cooper denied Youngs with two saves seconds apart, while in a rare attack for the Ghosts Mark Betts saw his shot from distance held at the second attempt by Nower.

Nine minutes from time a cross from the left was headed past Cooper by Atkins.

Fakenham: Cooper, Richards, Alamanos (Whittred 59), Tagg, Felton, West, Skinner, Haynes, M Betts, Harris, Critten (J Betts 76). Unused sub: King. Att: 50.

Other results: Blofield 2, Cromer 3; Gorleston 2, Sheringham 1; Loddon 4, Scole 2; Yarmouth 1, Wroxham 1 (aet), replay Tuesday.

Saturday sees Dereham at home to Felixstowe and Fakenham at home to FC Clacton in the Ridgeons League.