Fakenham FC make history as they progress to fourth round of FA vase
- Credit: Alan Raymond Palmer
Fakenham FC made history as they progressed to the fourth round of the FA vase after seeing off MK Irish on penalties.
They did it the hard way, as they saw a two-goal lead vanish in a matter of minutes during the second half, but managed to hold their nerve from the spot.
The Ghosts took the lead through Ashley Jarvis in the 25th minute from a corner.
The set piece was initially defended by MK Irish, but Jack Robinson got on the end of the loose ball, and put it back into the box. After a goalmouth scramble, Ashley Jarvis struck a hard shot to make it 1-0.
Fakenham had the better chances and more control of the game in the first half. However, the visitors came out of the blocks quicker and sharper in the second half.
You may also want to watch:
Fakenham held their nerve and just past the hour mark, doubled their lead.
Callum Brain had the ball in space and played it out to the right flank for Jack Robinson, who dribbled towards goal and went one on one with the keeper. Robinson came out on top as he slotted the ball past the keeper at his near post to put the Ghosts 2-0 up.
- 1 Market town set for 'modest' council tax precept rise
- 2 Surgery turns away people asking for 'spare' Covid vaccines
- 3 Electrical store helps school's computer appeal
- 4 Covid cases fall in every area of Norfolk for first time since June
- 5 Armed police detain man after 18 hours of negotiations
- 6 Where the pines meet the sea on the north Norfolk coast
- 7 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
- 8 'Full' foodbank gets new home as demand surges
- 9 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 10 'She was a fighter'- Tributes to music-loving Kelsey, 27
15 minutes later, MK Irish pulled a goal back. Fakenham were not able to hold on and five minutes later, the visitors were level after converting a penalty.
The Ghosts were almost on the wrong end of a historic comeback as MK Irish had the ball in the net in stoppage time, but it was disallowed due to a foul on goalkeeper Tom Coombe.
The 90 minutes finished level and the Norfolk side headed to penalties, the third time in this season’s competition they had needed spot-kicks.
They came out on top in the penalty shootout winning 4-2, with Josh Hazell scoring the winning penalty to send Fakenham through to the next round.
The draw for the fourth round is today (December 21), with the fourth round taking place on January 9, 2021.
The ghosts return to action on December 28, as they host Sheringham.
Report provided by Alan Raymond Palmer.