Fakenham finally get professional on board - and celebrate with win
- Credit: Archant
Fakenham moved off the bottom of the Norfolk Alliance Premier Division table on Saturday when they recorded an emphatic win at Acle.
Luck was with them as they managed to dodge the thunderstorms and the game started on time, with Acle winning the toss and putting the visitors into bat.
With only 11 on the board Fakenham had lost both of their opening batsmen. This brought together Tom Yarham and overseas professional Chathura Peiris from Sri Lanka, who has now overcome his visa problems and together they built a partnership of 50 before Yarham was dismissed for 15.
Lloyd Marshall was back from a sprained ankle injury and his steady batting together with that of Peiris added another 59 before Peiris offered a chance that was taken by the Acle fielder to dismiss him for 53.
The run gathering continued with Dave Coyle joining Marshall and adding 21 for the next wicket, Marshall this time giving the catching practice to leave the crease on 34 with the total on 141-5. Harry Blackiston came in at seven and together with a variety of partners put on a breezy 23 before becoming the last wicket to fall in the 47th over to leave Fakenham on 187 all out.
You may also want to watch:
Peiris and Coyle opened the bowling and very soon Acle were in a similar position to that of Fakenham at the start of their innings, both openers back in the pavilion with only five overs bowled and 16 on the board with a wicket each to Coyle and Peiris.
The next five overs were to prove decisive with Coyle taking another three wickets to leave Acle reeling on 23-5 with only Tom Wilson offering any sort of resistance to Fakenham.
- 1 'It is damaging' - Business frustrated as vehicles block shop front
- 2 Fakenham park dubbed 'drugstore' as fears raised over anti-social behaviour
- 3 New affordable homes in Fakenham for the elderly ahead of schedule
- 4 See inside the boutique hotel with spa centre reserved for guests
- 5 Daughter's tragic death from rare illness sparks dad's fundraiser
- 6 Concern as Covid test centre takes spaces away from shoppers
- 7 Rubbish dating back 40 years found in Fakenham litter pick
- 8 Norwich City promotion celebrated with new batch of £100 glass canaries
- 9 'Proud as punch' - Sports centre delighted with renovations
- 10 History made as heritage railway gets ready to reopen
When Steve Earl replaced Coyle the problems continued for Acle with a steady procession of partners joining Wilson, only to be dismissed for low scores. The Fakenham fielding was outstanding throughout which was of no comfort to Acle.
Change bowlers Yin Lo (two wickets) and Tom White (one) made the misery worse until Earl finally trapped Wilson lbw for 29 to end the Acle innings 63 all out (22 overs).
The Cooks of Fakenham man-of-the-match award went to Coyle for his sterling bowling performance.
On Saturday Fakenham are at home to Garboldisham, who took over as leaders by beating Horsford A on Monday.