Fakenham Foxes fired up for final game
Fakenham Foxes 10, Leighton Buzzard 8
RUGBY: The Foxes hosted Leighton Buzzard in their last league match of the season. Both teams were fired up and ready with full squads.
Both teams took a while to settle. The Foxes gave away an early penalty and Leighton kicked for the posts, putting the first points on the board.
The Foxes’ defence was good, and hard tackles were made. The Foxes pressured but couldn’t break through and score.
Leighton made mistakes but the Foxes were not winning the scrums, so the advantage was lost.
You may also want to watch:
Leighton caught the Foxes off guard and made for the line, but Sandie Toher held the ball up and denied the try. Half-time: 3-0.
The Foxes made a few changes and were determined to turn the game around.
- 1 Councillor asks people to speak up after confronting lockdown rule breakers
- 2 Market town set for 'modest' council tax precept rise
- 3 Where the pines meet the sea on the north Norfolk coast
- 4 Armed police detain man after 18 hours of negotiations
- 5 Norfolk yet to reach peak in latest wave of coronavirus deaths
- 6 Could you give these Shetland sheep a caring new home?
- 7 Surgery turns away people asking for 'spare' Covid vaccines
- 8 Covid cases fall in every area of Norfolk for first time since June
- 9 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 10 Covid rips through care homes again with deaths almost doubling in a week
Leighton passed quickly through hands and the winger broke free from halfway and scored.
The Foxes finally woke up and started to stick to their game plan. They kicked for territory and won the line-out, gaining precious ground.
They took the ball into a driving maul then released to Amber Wadlow. She shipped to Kym Kendle coming through at pace and she passed on the inside for Sarah Wheelhouse to score.
Leighton were beginning to tire so the Foxes used their experience to take control.
From a penalty close to the line Mandy Warren took the ball in then Rachel Forrest picked up and popped to Kym, who crashed over the line.
Players-of-the-match were Kym Kendle and Julie Wilkin.
For more information on the Foxes team check out the website www.fakenhamrugby.com