Fakenham Foxes Rugby Club pay price for lack of numbers
Leighton Buzzard 41, Fakenham Foxes 21
Fakenham Foxes travelled to Leighton Buzzard with 13 players, facing hosts who had a full squad of 18.
The Foxes kicked off and immediately put pressure on the opposition. The game was end-to-end with both teams battling to score.
The visitors set up a couple of rucks and sucked in Leighton to ship down the backs for Alex Grant to score.
Leighton attacked but the Foxes defence was solid, Philippa Mahoney playing well throughout at 12.
Leighton had strong runners and their scrum and game had improved since the Foxes last played them.
Gemma Seville stepped in at second row improving in strength with each match. The Foxes attacked again and the forwards set up a ruck for the ball to be brought back down the line to release Alex Grant to score. Leighton came back again and scored just before half-time, leaving Fakenham with a 14-7 lead at the break.
- 1 New special school opens doors to first students
- 2 Fakenham 2022 - What to expect for housing, retail, tourism and hospitality
- 3 Fakenham firms keen to protect customers as rate of inflation soars
- 4 How Covid restrictions will change in England this week
- 5 Further cold weather alert for Norfolk and Waveney
- 6 Pair of primary schools join Diocese of Norwich trust
- 7 Popular teacher, 55, died after falling down stairs, inquest hears
- 8 Council to sell land in 'Chelsea-on-Sea'
- 9 Medals awarded to esteemed military man to go under the hammer
- 10 MAPPED: Where thousands of homes could be built in north Norfolk
Leighton put fresh legs on at half time but the Foxes had no choice but to carry on.
The Foxes played some good rugby and should have scored again, Sian Jedrzejewski having an excellent match on her return to the side. Leighton attacked relentlessly and the Foxes ran out of gas. They allowed Leighton three tries in 10 minutes and as they couldn’t hold on any longer.
The Foxes, determined to fight, found the strength to apply pressure again, with Alex Grant completing her hat-trick.
Sarah Wheelhouse kicked well and converted all three of the Foxes’ tries.
With the last play Leighton scored another. A great game but frustrating for the Foxes as numbers let them down again.
Players of the Match: Sian Jedrzejewski and Philippa Mahoney.