Fakenham Foxes Rugby Club pay price for lack of numbers
Leighton Buzzard 41, Fakenham Foxes 21
Fakenham Foxes travelled to Leighton Buzzard with 13 players, facing hosts who had a full squad of 18.
The Foxes kicked off and immediately put pressure on the opposition. The game was end-to-end with both teams battling to score.
The visitors set up a couple of rucks and sucked in Leighton to ship down the backs for Alex Grant to score.
Leighton attacked but the Foxes defence was solid, Philippa Mahoney playing well throughout at 12.
You may also want to watch:
Leighton had strong runners and their scrum and game had improved since the Foxes last played them.
Gemma Seville stepped in at second row improving in strength with each match. The Foxes attacked again and the forwards set up a ruck for the ball to be brought back down the line to release Alex Grant to score. Leighton came back again and scored just before half-time, leaving Fakenham with a 14-7 lead at the break.
- 1 Plans for market town homes back on the table
- 2 Holiday lets look forwards to seeing 'happy faces' as lockdown eases
- 3 'Ready to go' - Department store raring to reopen after 109-day wait
- 4 Town centre gets 'spring clean' ahead of high street re-opening
- 5 Owners of Pensthorpe pay tribute to patron Prince Philip
- 6 'Raring to go' - Barbers prepare for reopening
- 7 Tribute to loving and kind war veteran who opened school in Norfolk
- 8 Rare chance to visit famous walled gardens for only second time ever
- 9 Covid drive-through testing centre opens in town car park
- 10 Man sells bar after 19 years - but can't say goodbye
Leighton put fresh legs on at half time but the Foxes had no choice but to carry on.
The Foxes played some good rugby and should have scored again, Sian Jedrzejewski having an excellent match on her return to the side. Leighton attacked relentlessly and the Foxes ran out of gas. They allowed Leighton three tries in 10 minutes and as they couldn’t hold on any longer.
The Foxes, determined to fight, found the strength to apply pressure again, with Alex Grant completing her hat-trick.
Sarah Wheelhouse kicked well and converted all three of the Foxes’ tries.
With the last play Leighton scored another. A great game but frustrating for the Foxes as numbers let them down again.
Players of the Match: Sian Jedrzejewski and Philippa Mahoney.