Fakenham maintain perfect start after overcoming a strong challenge
- Credit: Archant
Another bonus point win for Fakenham gave them a clean sweep of beating all of the teams in Eastern Counties One North with bonus points.
Beccles started well, taking the play into the Fakenham half with their more physical side, and scored the first try of the game after 19 minutes to lead 7-0.
Fakenham then gathered themselves and six minutes later Brett Stolworthy ran in an excellent try on the right wing to pull the score back to 7-5.
Fakenham were now settling into their game plan and two minutes later Lloyd Marshall scored under the posts after a good backs’ passing move.
Beccles scored an unconverted try shortly after and the pattern of play persisted, with the hosts camped out in the Fakenham half only to see the visitors break out and run the ball back at them, Two more scores to Fakenham saw the half-time score reach 12-27.
You may also want to watch:
The half-time team talk had some effect and the second half was not quite so dominated by the Beccles power as Fakenham tried to stick to their game plan when the chances allowed with some slick handling, running lines and offloads. Two tries to Fakenham - with Jordi Walker getting a touchdown - and one to Beccles was the outcome to take the final score to 17-36, even though Beccles had greater territorial possession.
The Fakenham Norfolk Brewhouse man-of-the-match was awarded jointly to Stolworthy and Walker for their outstanding performances.
- 1 'That's when reality hit' - Footballer speaks about life changing weekend
- 2 'It's a dream' - Wedding shop opens up in Fakenham
- 3 Norfolk has no Covid patients in critical care for first time in six months
- 4 7 outdoor events happening in Norfolk and Waveney this weekend
- 5 Door-to-door salesman charged after 'aggression' complaints
- 6 Stately home to host work by famous sculptor
- 7 Covid vaccine rollout shifts dramatically in favour of second doses
- 8 On the buses: Mobile Covid vaccination service is launched
- 9 Day of two halves - Footballer wins £80,000 and breaks leg in 24 hours
- 10 'Back doing what I love' - Fakenham welcomes another 'new normal'
Fakenham are away to the league’s bottom side Great Yarmouth-Broadland, another side with large pack who play a physical game, on Saturday (2.30pm).
Fakenham II were away to Norwich III and lost 64-19. The Norwich side had a strong pack and dominated the scrum. With a strong wind at their backs they took full advantage, leading 29-0 at half-time.
Fakenham rallied in the second half, scoring 19 points, but with two players involved in their first adult game they found it difficult to contain their hosts. Norwich finished worthy winners but knew they had been in a game with an under-strength Fakenham team.
Try scorers for Fakenham were James Suett, Jack Green and Tom Hall with Jack Moore converting twice.
Dereham were 70-5 winners over Swaffham II to stay four points clear in Division 3N.