Fakenham Racecourse hit by big freeze
The seven-race card planned for Fakenham on Sunday was abandoned due to frost at 10am on the morning of the meeting.
Fakenham Racecourse clerk of the course David Hunter carried out an initial inspection at 8am and rated the chances of racing at 50-50 at that point.
However, two hours later the air temperature had not improved significantly and he was left with no option but to abandon the meeting.
Temperatures dipped as low as -3C overnight Saturday to Sunday and with frost penetrating parts of the track. Hunter said, following his 8am inspection, that he needed to see “some proper movement in air temperatures,” if the meeting was to go-ahead.
But by 10am there had been no significant improvement and so the meeting was called off.
You may also want to watch:
The next scheduled meeting at the Norfolk track is on Thursday, January 24 with a planned first race time of 1.05pm.
- 1 New affordable homes in Fakenham for the elderly ahead of schedule
- 2 Rubbish dating back 40 years found in Fakenham litter pick
- 3 'It is damaging' - Business frustrated as vehicles block shop front
- 4 See inside the boutique hotel with spa centre reserved for guests
- 5 'Proud as punch' - Sports centre delighted with renovations
- 6 Daughter's tragic death from rare illness sparks dad's fundraiser
- 7 Concern as Covid test centre takes spaces away from shoppers
- 8 Norfolk's Covid rate still low despite slight rises in some areas
- 9 Town park dubbed 'drugstore' as fears raised over anti-social behaviour
- 10 Norwich City promotion celebrated with new batch of £100 glass canaries