Fakenham skipper scores late try to seal dramatic win over Wisbech

Fakenhams new captain, Jordii Walker, celebrates by scoring the winning try in the final minute of t

Fakenhams new captain, Jordii Walker, celebrates by scoring the winning try in the final minute of the game against Wisbech. - Credit: Archant

Fakenham recorded an exciting 24-19 win over visitors Wisbech in their latest London Three Eastern Counties match.

The game was very competitive right from the whistle and Wisbech took the upper hand, showing strength and determination in their loose play. Fakenham however dominated the set scrummage and this would be the pattern for most of the game.

Wisbech were the first to make a concerted attack and were rewarded with a converted try. The home side responded a minute later, forcing the visitors back into their own 22 metre area with Damon Howick scoring under the posts and Lloyd Marshall converting.

Fakenham were then steadily pushed back and conceded a penalty, allowing the visitors to kick for touch. The resulting five-metre line-out was a well worked catch and drive and Fakenham just could not stop it as the visitors made it 7-14.

Fakenham were then repelled several times before stand-off Tom Bane-Young slipped through to score an unconverted try, taking the score to 12-14 at half time.

The second half was just as unforgiving, with both sides suffering from injuries.

Wisbech were the first to break the second half impasse, scoring an unconverted try. Fakenham had to dig deep to get back into the game but they forced their way down the field. After several scrums resulting in penalties and Fakenham opting to take more scrums, the home side finally worked the ball across the pitch, putting Josh Gee over wide out on the left wing. The kick just missed its target to leave the score at 17-19.

Most Read

There was just six minutes left and both sides had periods of pressure but neither could finish their moves off. Then, with time almost up, a ball from a Fakenham scrum was fed to Tom Bane-Young who launched at a gap that was closed quickly but not before a quick pass to new skipper Jordan Walker. He was initially caught on the line but a half spin and his momentum allowed him to ground the ball and Marshall again converted to take the score to 24-19.

The final whistle sounded straight after the conversion to bring a huge cheer from the home crowd and players alike. This was an epic battle between two evenly matched sides, with neither wanting to back down.

Fakenham host Thurston in the league on Saturday while the seconds travel to North Walsham III for a Merit Table game. There will be a casino night at the club on Saturday evening (7pm) to raise funds for improvements to facilities. All are welcome and tickets can be booked with Alan on 07859 806130.