Thetford 36 Fakenham 38: Dramatic comeback seals thrilling win for Fakenham
- Credit: Archant
Fakenham edged a tense game between two mid-table clubs after recovering from a 19 point deficit early in the second half.
Thetford raced into a 10-point lead with a converted try and a penalty kick before Ashley Stewart touched down wide on the right to make it 10-5.
The hosts scored another converted try but Fakenham rallied again and a sharp move by the backs saw Jack Whiteside pick up a pass off his toes to dive over, with Tom Bane-Young converting.
Thetford had not finished though and converted tries either side of the restart took the score out to 31-12.
A quick response from Fakenham saw a try of their own wide out on the left from Murray Tindall but Thetford quickly scored again to restore the 19 point advantage.
You may also want to watch:
Fakenham, however, still believed in themselves and were rewarded with a converted try from Jordan Walker. Then, after Joe Bane-Young was adjudged to have been held up short of the line, the following scrum saw Rob Ward force his way over to score another converted try to reduce the arrears to just five points.
Fakenham now believed the game could be their’s and a slight of hand offload to Ward wrong-footed the home side and he was in for his second try.
- 1 New affordable homes in Fakenham for the elderly ahead of schedule
- 2 Rubbish dating back 40 years found in Fakenham litter pick
- 3 'It is damaging' - Business frustrated as vehicles block shop front
- 4 See inside the boutique hotel with spa centre reserved for guests
- 5 Daughter's tragic death from rare illness sparks dad's fundraiser
- 6 'Proud as punch' - Sports centre delighted with renovations
- 7 Concern as Covid test centre takes spaces away from shoppers
- 8 Norfolk's Covid rate still low despite slight rises in some areas
- 9 Town park dubbed 'drugstore' as fears raised over anti-social behaviour
- 10 Norwich City promotion celebrated with new batch of £100 glass canaries
The conversion was now crucial as the score was tied 36-36 and captain Tom Bane-Young sent the kick though the middle of the posts to finally get his side in front. Thetford were not going to lie down and threw everything at the visitors but they held firm to seal the win.
“I could have given man-of-the-match to all 17 players but Rob Ward just edged it for his work off the base of the scrum and his general work-rate,” said the skipper afterwards.
Fakenham have a well-earned rest this weekend and return to action the following Saturday with a home game and lunch against Wisbech (2.30pm kick-off).
The seconds have a game under lights at Wymondham III on Friday, February 8 (7pm).
Fakenham minis hosted Swaffham last weekend. The morning start saw some 70 children of all ages from both clubs playing rugby in most forms of the game, from TAG (non-contact for the younger children) to full contact rugby for the older children.
The Fakenham youngsters gave a good account of themselves, especially the Year 5 team (10 years old and under). Any parents interested in their children trying out the sport free of charge should contact Alan Young on 07859 806130.