Fakenham Rugby Club continue promotion march
Fakenham 53, Lowestoft and Yarmouth II 5
Fakenham again topped 50 points as they took a further step towards promotion in Merit League Division Two.
Playing against a strong L&Y second team pack and a young capable back division, the first half saw Fakenham score four tries and two conversions to lead 24-0 at half time.
The tries came from Joe Bane-Young, Tim Syer, Bob Sayer and Dan Starman with both conversions from Bane-Young.
Fakenham by no means had the first half their own way, with L&Y pack competing in the tight scrummage and the loose play. The L&Y backs fought hard but were outgunned by the Fakenham back division, who gained field position to launch the attack and score.
You may also want to watch:
The second half began with a bang for Fakenham with four tries and two conversions in a 12-minute spell of pressure.
The tries were scored by Howard Kellock, Sayer and there were two tries from debutant winger Lewis Woodhouse.
- 1 Flooding concerns over plans for 12 village homes
- 2 'Slow down, save lives' - Police launch speed awareness campaign
- 3 'We'll miss it' - Rector leaves town's church after six years
- 4 Met office issue weather warnings for thunderstorms in parts of Norfolk
- 5 Retired landlady died at home after asbestos exposure, inquest hears
- 6 Renowned violinist to play at Nelson's village church
- 7 Ever fancied 'forest bathing'? How being close to nature can ease stress
- 8 Your say - Covid passports, good or bad idea?
- 9 A love letter to Norfolk - Poem written more than 50 years ago discovered in book
- 10 Air ambulance to fly with 'vital' life saving blood every mission
L&Y did not give up the fight and 30 minutes into the second half engineered a breakthrough. With some great support play they forced a try on the wide left but this was unconverted to bring the score back to 48-5.
Fakenham were determined to make their final tally 50 or more to help improve their points difference and went on the attack again.
They were rewarded eight minutes later with a try for Soul Phoenix which was not converted leaving the score at the end of the match 53–5.
Fakenham are away to Norwich III in this week’s Division Two fixture. Kick-off will be 3pm at Beeston Hyrne, Norwich.
Fakenham II 57, Lakenham II 31
Fakenham’s second team took to the field with only 14 players, 12 of whom are more at home in the forwards and only two of which were genuine backs.
Lakenham also had only 14 players but are a younger, fitter side and were 20 points to the good inside 20 minutes as they used their pace and youth to leave Fakenham trailing in their wake.
Fakenham realised at this rate it could be a cricket score and decided to change the game plan to one where they were able to use their strengths to their advantage.
They kept the ball at close quarters and a mixture of forward drives and rolling mauls saw them advance up the pitch and score on numerous occasions.
Fakenham were pleased with their performance and were very upbeat on their return to the clubhouse.
Fakenham’s second team should meet Diss IV team at home this weekend with a 3pm kick off in the Norfolk Merit League Division Three. Spectators are welcome to come along and support the team and watch international matches afterwards.