Fakenham Rugby Club frozen out by derby rivals
- Credit: Archant
Holt II 24, Fakenham 3
Fakenham again failed to beat their neighbours in this Norfolk Merit League Division One game.
The weather forecast was accurate this week with snow, wind and sleet combined with freezing conditions making it extremely difficult for handling from mid-way through the first half.
Holt had started the brighter in the game, scoring after only two minutes. Fakenham’s back line failed to contain the home side’s midfield and allowed a clean line break to score the try but they failed with the conversion attempt (5-0).
It took another 18 minutes for the next score which was a penalty from Fakenham’s Karl Ryder (5-3). Holt then took charge and scored another try only six minutes later and this time the conversion was good from Harvey to stretch the Holt lead to 12-3.
You may also want to watch:
Although both teams had some very good position and territory neither side could take advantage and the half time score remained 12-3.
The second half saw the weather conditions worsen and for 30 minutes neither side added to their first half score, although the game ranged from end to end.
- 1 Former sixth form land could be divided up and sold
- 2 Why were barriers blocking these town centre benches?
- 3 Property labelled a 'carbuncle' served urgent works notice
- 4 Application for eight new Fakenham homes is scrapped
- 5 Hotel says bookings up a week on from Sunday Times nod
- 6 World War One commemorative statue stolen
- 7 Trio launch new bell tent venture with a twist
- 8 Fakenham's Salvation Army forms two new groups
- 9 Vital Fakenham charity secures future and gets back to business
- 10 Plans for Fakenham remembrance services announced
Holt were the more determined to take the win and on 70 minutes scored another try with Harvey again adding the extra points (17-3).
Three minutes later Holt crossed the Fakenham line again to score another converted try, which left Fakenham with a mountain to climb with only six minutes remaining. A combination of the weather and mistakes made this impossible and the game finished 24-3 to Holt. Most of the players were pleased to hear the final whistle and a chance to get in to the changing rooms to defrost.
This result leaves Fakenham fifth in the table with only three fixtures left to improve their standing.
Fixtures for this weekend are uncertain at the moment with both first and second team opposition calling off the games already. Fakenham are therefore looking for two fixtures. If you have a side looking for a game contact Chris Evans, the club’s fixture secretary as soon as possible on 01362 694537 or email email@example.com.