Fakenham Rugby Club secure title
FAKENHAM secured the Merit League Division Two title without having to break sweat on Saturday as Thetford II conceded the final game of the season.
The call-off saw Fakenham awarded a 20-0 victory, which kept them three points clear of second-placed Lakenham Hewett, who beat Norwich III 17-12.
Fakenham are therefore promoted to Division One next season.
Fakenham II 45 Watton II 0
This match was preceded by the Chris Wood Celebration Lunch.
You may also want to watch:
Fakenham and Watton played the re-arranged Merrit Division Three game in great spirit and in front of a large crowd.
The game was much closer than the score reflects, with Fakenham fashioning two tries from nowhere due to some great individual skill from Josh Gee and Carl Harris which Joe Bane-Young converted to bring the score at half time to 14-0.
- 1 'Lost a couple of staff members a day' - how the 'pingdemic' is hitting Norfolk
- 2 'Slow down, save lives' - Police launch speed awareness campaign
- 3 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 4 Met office issue weather warnings for thunderstorms in parts of Norfolk
- 5 Your say - Covid passports, good or bad idea?
- 6 Youngsters camp out for 'Sharkitude' leavers event
- 7 First look at adventure trail ahead of opening
- 8 Fakenham Figures - Pensthorpe manager reveals his love for north Norfolk
- 9 Review: 'My new favourite' - excellent dishes at country coaching inn
- 10 7 places to avoid the crowds in Norfolk this summer
Fakenham then took a stronger hold on the game in the second half with tries from Carl Harris, Howard Kellock (2), Karl Ryder and Acky Downing with a further four conversions from Bane-Young.
Fakenham II finished in third place and are likely to miss out on promotion.
Man-of-the-match: Howard Kellock.