Fakenham Rugby Club suffer rare defeat
FAKENHAM were given a reality check as they were beaten by Eastern Counties Two high-flyers Thetford.
Fakenham travelled with a squad of just 15, but two players did not make it and they were forced to borrow two players and re-shuffle the team. This was a chance to see how far Fakenham had come this season and although Thetford were the winners, they did not have the game all their own way. Fakenham were missing a couple of key players but it shows they still have a great deal of training to do before re-entering the Eastern Counties league set up.
Fakenham II 27, Watton II 5
This match was a re-arranged Norfolk Merit Table game as the original fixture was abandoned due to a head and neck injury to a Fakenham player.
It took until the 24th minute for the deadlock to be broken when the Fakenham full-back, playing his first game for the club, failed to deal with a kick bouncing off his chest. Watton chasers scooped up the ball and scored a try which was not converted.
You may also want to watch:
The hosts’ full-back atoned for his earlier error to level the score with a well worked try. On the stroke of half-time K Messenger scored for Fakenham and the goal was kicked by Joe Bane-Young making it 12-5 at the break.
Further tries from Josh Gee and Ackman Downing (2) completed the scoring in the second half.
- 1 Covid outbreak factory's safety message to customers
- 2 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 3 'It's opened my eyes' - What is it really like having coronavirus?
- 4 Optician's lockdown eyesight health plea
- 5 A148 shut for 'most of morning' after serious crash
- 6 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 7 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 8 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 9 Met Office warns of snow at weekend
- 10 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
This Saturday, Fakenham first team are away to Lakenham Hewett for a friendly, and the second team host Thetford II for a friendly. Kick-off for both games will be 2.15pm.