Fakenham rugby team worry league leaders
Fakenham 13, Lowestoft & Yarmouth 16Fears of a potential banana skin for L&Y's 100 per cent record were almost realised when a dogged and canny Fakenham ran the league leaders to the wire before Scott Nelson's late try spared their blushes.
Fakenham 13, Lowestoft & Yarmouth 16
Fears of a potential banana skin for L&Y's 100 per cent record were almost realised when a dogged and canny Fakenham ran the league leaders to the wire before Scott Nelson's late try spared their blushes.
Fakenham took no time in exposing the naivety of the L&Y back three and by kicking deep and chasing hard they soon had field position to scrabble a close-range try, awarded despite claims that the ball had been held up short of the line.
The home side's harassing game-plan kept L&Y in their own half, forcing mistake after mistake out of the visitors. Eventually L&Y hit back when Shaun Woodhouse went over wide out following a half-break by Matt Jary. But a further Fakenham penalty, and a superb try from their winger after a classic centre break, saw them lead by eight points at the interval.
You may also want to watch:
L&Y dug deep and clawed their way back into the game with two Russ Chapman penalties, but their own mistakes and some contentious refereeing decisions kept them away from the Fakenham line until five minutes from time. Nelson carved his way down the blindside to make sure the East Coasters pocketed their eighth consecutive pair of points.
- 1 WATCH: Delighted Delia Smith leads Canaries fans in Emi Buendia sing song
- 2 'Absolutely fantastic' - Mid-Norfolk pubs enjoy first Saturday back
- 3 Campaigner 'more convinced than ever' about new light rail link
- 4 Rescue drama as kayaker spotted 'clinging to a buoy'
- 5 'Thank you for everything' - How Norfolk marked Duke of Edinburgh's funeral
- 6 'That's when reality hit' - Footballer speaks about life changing weekend
- 7 'It's a dream' - Wedding shop opens up in Fakenham
- 8 Women released under investigation after pub fight
- 9 Vandals smash planters two days after gallery reopens
- 10 Door-to-door salesman charged after 'aggression' complaints