Fakenham rugby team worry league leaders
Fakenham 13, Lowestoft & Yarmouth 16Fears of a potential banana skin for L&Y's 100 per cent record were almost realised when a dogged and canny Fakenham ran the league leaders to the wire before Scott Nelson's late try spared their blushes.
Fakenham 13, Lowestoft & Yarmouth 16
Fears of a potential banana skin for L&Y's 100 per cent record were almost realised when a dogged and canny Fakenham ran the league leaders to the wire before Scott Nelson's late try spared their blushes.
Fakenham took no time in exposing the naivety of the L&Y back three and by kicking deep and chasing hard they soon had field position to scrabble a close-range try, awarded despite claims that the ball had been held up short of the line.
The home side's harassing game-plan kept L&Y in their own half, forcing mistake after mistake out of the visitors. Eventually L&Y hit back when Shaun Woodhouse went over wide out following a half-break by Matt Jary. But a further Fakenham penalty, and a superb try from their winger after a classic centre break, saw them lead by eight points at the interval.
You may also want to watch:
L&Y dug deep and clawed their way back into the game with two Russ Chapman penalties, but their own mistakes and some contentious refereeing decisions kept them away from the Fakenham line until five minutes from time. Nelson carved his way down the blindside to make sure the East Coasters pocketed their eighth consecutive pair of points.
- 1 Your say: What is your favourite TV show ever?
- 2 Thursford pumpkin house opens for its fourth year
- 3 Why were barriers blocking these town centre benches?
- 4 Former sixth form land could be divided up and sold
- 5 Vineyard's £250,000 new winery presses its first grapes
- 6 RNLI to add 5,000 more names to new lifeboat
- 7 Hotel says bookings up a week on from Sunday Times nod
- 8 The most popular baby names in Norfolk in 2020 are revealed
- 9 Plans for Fakenham remembrance services announced
- 10 Trio launch new bell tent venture with a twist