Fakenham’s first goal of season not enough to prevent another defeat

Tommy Rix claims the ball in the Fakenham area during Saturday's narrow home defeat against Wivenhoe

Tommy Rix claims the ball in the Fakenham area during Saturday's narrow home defeat against Wivenhoe Town. Picture: Tony Miles - Credit: Archant

Fakenham Town broke their scoring duck for the new season at the weekend, but couldn’t overcome a two-goal deficit to get anything out of Wivenhoe Town at Clipbush Park.

The Ghosts could have taken the lead in the first half, when a shot from Tim Cary was only parried out by the visiting keeper.

Kyle Plumb was quickly to the rebound but could only watch as his shot hit the post.

With half an hour gone, Jordan Cantwell fired wide from just outside the Wivenhoe area and minutes later again tried his luck – this time forcing the Wivenhoe keeper into a flying save to turn the ball round the post for a corner.

As half-time approached Wivenhoe had their best chance of the half as a speculative effort dropped on to the roof of the Ghosts’ net.

With 57 minutes gone, the opening goal came and it was Wivenhoe who scored it. Following a break down the left, the final ball into the Ghosts’ six-yard box was not cleared and was slotted home at the far post.

The lead was extended just five minutes later when a mazy run got the Wivenhoe striker into the Fakenham area and he beat Tommy Rix from the angle.

Most Read

The Ghosts got themselves a lifeline with 10 minutes left of the 90 when Shane Akers found Stuart Garner with a superb cross from the right and he beat the Wivenhoe keeper from close range.

Fakenham pushed forward for the remainder of the fixture with keeper Rix also joining the attack, but couldn’t get anything more out of the game.

Fakenham: Rix, Akers, Garner, Youngs, Gilchrist, J.Williams, Franks, D.Williams, Plumb, Cary, Cantwell.

The Ghosts, who remain bottom of the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division table without a point to their name, travel to face Hadleigh United, who sit 15th, on Saturday afternoon before hosting Ely City on Tuesday evening at Clipbush Park (7.45pm).

Fakenham’s Reserves got life in the Anglian Combination Division Two off to a flying start, with a 6-1 win away at Caister Reserves. Four goals from Joe Harrison, and a goal apiece from Ben Darby and Ian Bulley secured the victory.

The Ghosts’ second string, who were due to play Wells Town in a local derby at Clipbush Park last night, travel to face Brandon Town on Saturday afternoon (2.30pm).