Fakenham seconds shine as they take centre stage

Fakenham scrum-half Dec Sperring wriggles through the Thetford defence to score the second of his tr

Fakenham scrum-half Dec Sperring wriggles through the Thetford defence to score the second of his tries Picture: Mike Wyatt - Credit: Archant

With the first team game at Swaffham called off as a result of frost, just like the previous week’s fixture against Norwich Medics, it was with some relief that Fakenham seconds saw some action.

The seconds had not had a game for a while as a result of opposition teams crying off.

Thetford II, having had a number of high-scoring wins earlier in the season, were expected to put up some stern opposition but almost from the kick-off this was not to be the case.

Try hard as they could, Thetford always looked to be on the back foot and the difference in the sides was noticeable, with Fakenham back to the strong side that they can be thanks to better availability and university holidays bringing others back into the fold.

The game was only five minutes old when Fakenham scrum-half Dec Sperring dashed across the line for the first of many tries, with the effort not converted. Jack Green was next in line four minutes later, another unconverted try the result.

Murray Tindall was next on the board (also unconverted) followed by two Josh Gee sprints up the wing to score the first two of his three of the afternoon.

The first half was rounded out with a try for captain Adam Steele who was the one who seemed to be at the bottom of the pile of players just before the whistle went.

Most Read

After the resumpton prop Jack Powell Thorne ran half the length of the pitch to outpace the Thetford defence and score to the loud cheers from the first team squad who were looking on, with this one being converted.

George Ready, back from University, was next to score, with the try not converted as was par for the day, taking the score to 42-0.

Sperring, who had been having an excellent day at scrum-half, was next to add to his tally with a quick darting run putting him right under the posts for a converted try.

Jonathon Kettle, Josh Gee with his third from an excellent offload by Ian Williamson and Rory Singleton rounded off the scoring.

There are no more league games until January 6 when the first team are at home to Beccles and the seconds are away to Wymondham III, both games starting at 2pm. There may be a Boxing Day morning fixture at the club but details have yet to be finalised.