Fakenham suffer final defeat
Thetford 38, Fakenham 5Thetford turned in a dominant performance to lift the Woodforde's Norfolk Junior Cup in front of a big crowd at Two Mile Bottom.
Thetford 38, Fakenham 5
Thetford turned in a dominant performance to lift the Woodforde's Norfolk Junior Cup in front of a big crowd at Two Mile Bottom.
Fakenham showed their intense physical approach from the start, promptly camping themselves in Thetford's half.
The hosts, however, managed to get possession and, with the boot of flyhalf Gavin Crowley, put themselves deep into Fakenham's half. After a clean catch by Webster the forwards drove on, giving Keith Rix the opening try after six minutes.
You may also want to watch:
This settled Thetford's nerves and, from the restart, their forwards got to grips with the Fakenham pack, and the hard-fought battle up front was under way. After 25 minutes the crowd were treated to a try from Thetford's pacey centre Carl Smith, who finished off a well worked move from hard won ball. Crowley converted, taking the score to 12-0 in Thetford's favour.
Fakenham came back at Thetford but found the lower league team's defence robust and Rix struck again for his second try, taking a inside pass from Crowley and powering over. Crowley converted to increase the lead to 19-0.
- 1 'It's a dream' - Wedding shop opens up in Fakenham
- 2 Day of two halves - Footballer wins £80,000 and breaks leg in 24 hours
- 3 Door-to-door salesman charged after 'aggression' complaints
- 4 'Absolutely fantastic' - Wells welcomes back punters as lockdown eases
- 5 7 outdoor events happening in Norfolk and Waveney this weekend
- 6 Woman left with 'serious back injuries' after pub fight
- 7 Hairdressers excited to reopen salon and welcome back clients
- 8 'Back doing what I love' - Fakenham welcomes another 'new normal'
- 9 Park-and-ride scheme plan for busy seaside towns
- 10 'It's a win/win' - Fakenham group to sell merchandise at The Larder
Both sides were happy to hear the half-time whistle after a bruising first 40 minutes, Fakenham down to 14 men with their lock in the sin-bin for persistent hands in the ruck.
A penalty gave Fakenham an opportunity to open their account but the well-struck kick fell short.
Pressure from Thetford's pack then forced an error from Fakenham and Crowley moved the score on by three points.
Fakenham kept coming at Thetford but could not find a route through the defence and had to elect for shortened line-outs to try and counter jumper Dixon.
Winger Burt Reynolds latched on to the ball out wide and scored. Winger Stuart Awcock added an unconverted try to make it 32-0.
Fakenham suffered another yellow and a red card, which gave Thetford the upper hand for the closing period and they added another two penalties from Crowley.
With pride at stake, a quick Fakenham line-out move gave Chris Glossop a run down the five metre line to power over for an unconverted try.