Fakenham take honours in top-of-the-table clash against North Walsham II
- Credit: Archant
Fakenham came out on top in this top-of-the-table clash against North Walsham II thanks to a 24-17 victory.
The day started slightly awkwardly for Fakenham when, having arrived at the ground, it was realised that the playing kit had been forgotten. The game only got underway when North Walsham offered the loan of one of their strips for which many thanks are due for the sporting offer.
North Walsham were the first team on the board, converting a penalty kick after infringements from the Fakenham pack in their own half. Fakenham soon struck back though with Luke Taylor collecting a pass from Lloyd Marshall before evading his opposite man and touching down on the left wing. Fakenham followed this up with a second try, this time from Murray Tindall, who scored under the posts leaving a simple conversion for captain Tom Bane Young.
At this point in the game Fakenham were looking strong but they let their composure slip and gave away far too many penalties in the last 15 minutes of the first half. North Walsham scored two tries in this period, both as a result of the pressure they were putting Fakenham under. The first was an intercepted pass just 20 metres from the Fakenham line while the second came from a pick and go round the side of a breakdown after an uncharacteristic lapse in the Fakenham defensive line meant the North Walsham player could run untouched 20 metres in for the score. At the end of the half North Walsham led 17-14.
The second half belonged to Fakenham, who kept North Walsham under pressure for the majority of the period. Fakenham scored two further tries, one from Jordii Walker, converted by Lloyd Marshall, and a second with the last play of the game from Harry Richardson. On a different day Fakenham could have scored a further four tries but the chances went missing on the day, something that the North Walsham defence can take the credit for.
You may also want to watch:
Fakenham will be pleased with their 10th bonus point win from 10 games but know there is still room for improvement. The penalty count was far too high and they were not clinical enough with their scoring opportunities.
There is no first team game next week but the seconds are at home to Norwich Union II (2pm ko).
- 1 Are Fakenham businesses seeing an early rush for Christmas shopping?
- 2 Do you remember these shocking scenes from floods of the past?
- 3 Property spotlight: See inside this barn conversion for sale for £1.6m
- 4 Natalie Imbruglia announced for major new festival at Norfolk estate
- 5 Vineyard's £250,000 new winery presses its first grapes
- 6 Stunning new show at Houghton Hall set to immerse you into a meditative state
- 7 Thursford pumpkin house opens for its fourth year
- 8 Your say: What is your favourite TV show ever?
- 9 RNLI to add 5,000 more names to new lifeboat
- 10 Plans for Fakenham remembrance services announced