Fakenham Town boss Wayne Anderson’s goal plea
- Credit: Archant
Boss Wayne Anderson has challenged his Fakenham Town squad to share the goalscoring burden among them, writes Gareth Davis.
Robbie Harris leads the way with eight in all competitions but only three other members of the squad have netted more than once. One of them, four-goal striker Ashley Jarvis, is currently an injury concern after being stretchered off in Saturday’s FA Vase second round exit at Yaxley, and with the Ghosts having released Ben Boyce the previous week – while Kyle Plumb is still working his way back to fitness – Anderson says everyone has to chip in.
The manager said: “We have got to look at people like Sam Garner scoring goals, Matty Franks scoring goals, everyone has to as we haven’t got a budget and I can’t go out and buy a striker just like that. Over at Norwich United they have got four but that happens in football, we’ve got to deal with it and I’ll deal with it my way.
“We have lost Ashley Jarvis now and we don’t know how long he is going to be out for so we need another striker. I might have to go and look for someone and if that’s the case I’ll have to go and do it.”
At least the prognosis on Jarvis is not as bad as first feared, given that he was prone at Yaxley for more than half an hour and tended to on the pitch by paramedics before being taken to hospital in an ambulance. X-rays that evening found that he had only suffered severe bruising around the femur, along with a possible trapped nerve, after a break had initially been suspected.
You may also want to watch:
Jarvis’ injury came about following an accidental collision with home goalkeeper Aaron Butcher and subsequent awkward landing that saw the game held up while he was treated. Yaxley led 2-0 at the time thanks to two Scott Carter strikes, and he completed his hat-trick on the hour.
Fakenham drew a second successive blank on Tuesday when they exited the Norfolk Senior Cup at the fourth round stage, losing 1-0 at Norwich United.
- 1 Rescue drama as kayaker spotted 'clinging to a buoy'
- 2 Fakenham manager calls on town to support team from afar in FA Vase clash
- 3 'It's a dream' - Wedding shop opens up in Fakenham
- 4 'That's when reality hit' - Footballer speaks about life changing weekend
- 5 Vandals smash planters two days after gallery reopens
- 6 Norfolk attractions enjoy 'amazing' Saturday as visitors flood back
- 7 Fakenham announce how fans can watch FA vase match
- 8 County council election 2021: Who is standing in north Norfolk?
- 9 Retiring judge lifts lid on career and says Norwich 'best' resident job
- 10 7 outdoor events happening in Norfolk and Waveney this weekend
The 11th-placed Ghosts return to Thurlow Nunn Premier Division action on Saturday when they travel to defending champions Hadleigh United, who are currently fourth.
Fakenham’s reserves host Yelverton on Saturday in Division Three of the Anglian Combination (2pm).
Ben Pierce’s side take on the second-placed outfit seven days after losing 6-3 at home to Mattishall Reserves – Callum Brain, Ricky Claxton and Connor Walker the scorers.