Fakenham Town brought back down to earth by successive 4-0 defeats
- Credit: Archant
Fakenham Town suffered a second successive 4-0 defeat on Tuesday evening as they were well beaten by Great Yarmouth Town.
Looking for a boost after a heavy home reverse at the hands of an impressive Stowmarket Town side on Saturday the Ghosts started well enough at The Wellesley but went behind just before the break - and conceded three times in 13 minutes after it to return home empty handed.
It was a sweet win for the Bloaters who had been left high and dry by the Ghosts players’ refusal to play them at Clipbush Park earlier in the season because of behind-the-scenes issues.
With new officials on board in the shape of club stalwarts Doug Colman, Nolan Keeley and Simon Barnes things have improved for Fakenham since then. But once Mitch Forbes had opened the scoring on Tuesday the floodgates opened, with Ben Lewis (55), Forbes (62) and Lee Roots (68) all on target. The visitors kept going until the end, but couldn’t find a consolation.
Fakenham Town: Pearson, D Williams, Calvert, Sturman, Youngs, J Williams, Akers, Cantwell, Harrison, Claxton, Nelson. Subs: Skipper, East, Harvey, Champion, Day
You may also want to watch:
Fakenham’s mini-revival came to a halt when they were beaten 4-0 by an in-form Stowmarket side.
Having followed up a 2-1 home win over Hadleigh with a 1-0 success at Gorleston the Ghosts met their match this time and were sunk by two goals in each half.
- 1 'Exceptional' - Fakenham jewellers thank town for warm welcome
- 2 Your favourite pub, café, restaurant and hotel in Norfolk revealed
- 3 First baby lobsters from Wells hatchery returned to the sea
- 4 Investigation into rape at disused rail track closed
- 5 Hundreds of noisy neighbour complaints in North Norfolk during pandemic
- 6 Your say - Your favourite landmark in North Norfolk
- 7 Your say - Fakenham's thoughts on 'firebreak' lockdown
- 8 Open for business - new cancer centre accepts first patient
- 9 Fakenham Beer and Gin Festival finally set to return
- 10 Memorial match remembers former headmaster and rugby player
Stow skipper Ollie Brown opened the scoring with a superb strike into the top corner on 23 minutes before Luke Read doubled their lead when he finished off a cross from Phil Weavers nine minutes later.
Ethan Clarke’s cross was turned in by Fakenham defender Jimmy Williams on the hour mark to make it 3-0 and Josh Mayhew completed the scoring with his 26th goal of the season on 64 minutes after a missed from Shane Akers.
Fakenham are without a first team match at the weekend and resume their Thurlow Nunn Premier Division campaign with a home match against Kirkley and Pakefield next Tuesday evening (7.45pm).