Fakenham Town competitive on their return to league action

The Fakenham Town side who represented the club in Saturday's Norfolk Senior Cup tie with caretaker

The Fakenham Town side who represented the club in Saturday's Norfolk Senior Cup tie with caretaker boss Alex Walpole, back row, right. Picture: Nick Butcher - Credit: Nick Butcher

Fakenham Town returned to Thurlow Nunn Premier Division action at Ely City on Tuesday night - and gave their hosts a decent game before going down 3-0.

Having had to call off their recent home encounter with Great Yarmouth Town because of a player revolt the Ghosts put out a very different team at The Unwin Ground and turned in a battling display to go in at half-time level.

But Ely took over in the second half, with goals from Jonathan Brown (2) and Nick Heap sealing the win against a side beaten 3-1 at home by Yelverton in the Senior Cup.

Saturday’s caretaker manager Alex Walpole had given a guarantee that the club would fulfil the tough away fixture after putting together at side at the weekend - and he was as good as his word, with Fakenham travelling with 12 players, the bulk of them member of the club’s successful reserve side.

The visiting team was made up of Richard Bond, Tom East, Daniel Payne, Connor Daniels, Daniel Tuddenham, Ben Darby (captain), Callum Brain, Daniel Jarvis, John Lane, Joe Harrison and Ian Bulley, with Brandon Ballett on the bench.

The Ghosts’ next challenge is a home match in the league against Hadleigh United, who have won four and lost nine so far, on Saturday (3pm). With the second string, currently going well in Anglian Combination Division Two, facing a trip to neighbours Holt on the same day, it remains to be seen who will be representing the Ghosts at Clipbush Park.

Fakenham must then prepare for a tough away match at Gorleston the following Friday (7.45pm).

Most Read

The club has been in turmoil since the recent exit of Robbie Harris as manager, with players refusing to play against the Bloaters after the club had an apparent change of heart and decided against bringing former boss Wayne Anderson back to the club.

The Ghosts have shed no light on the issue since issuing a statement after the Great Yarmouth debacle which apologised for the call-off and the added: “We are currently reviewing the full circumstances regarding the postponement and will issue a further statement in due course.”