Fakenham Town far from disgraced at runaway leaders Felixstowe

Fakenham Town battled well before going down 2-0 at leaders Felixstowe & Walton. Picture: Nick Butch

Fakenham Town battled well before going down 2-0 at leaders Felixstowe & Walton. Picture: Nick Butcher - Credit: Nick Butcher

Fakenham Town gave a good account of themselves in front of a big crowd on Saturday before becoming the latest side to lose to runaway Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division leaders Felixstowe and Walton.

With over 350 looking on the Ghosts battled well throughout but couldn’t prevent their hosts from making it 20 wins out of 21 this season.

The visitors spent most of the first 45 minutes pinned in their own half as wave after wave of attacks had them defending doggedly. And when Craig Jennings played a neat flick shot over his left shoulder in the sixth minute from a Stuart Boardley corner to open the scoring, the thoughts of cricket scores flashed through people’s minds.

To their credit, Fakenham dug in and defended solidly, getting men behind the ball and closing down the space in front of them, restricting the home side to half a dozen chances.

Scott Chaplin saw his effort hit the bar and rebound back into play while Jennings was just wide from a Joe Francis cross as the home side pressed forward. Taylor Hastings then almost scored a sensational effort, spotting Luke Pearson off his line and firing in a 40 yard dipping volley that Pearson just managed to push over the bar as he scrambled back. The Ghosts ‘keeper pulled off another a couple of fine saves as the half ended with the hosts one up.

The visitors were pleased to hear the half-time whistle, giving them chance to regroup. and they came out for the second period looking far more determined to take the game to the Seasiders.

But they rarely threatened an equaliser and the leaders wrapped up the points when Jimmy Williams brought down Jennings and Francis stepped up to fire home.

Most Read

Fakenham, who remain third from bottom in the table, welcome FC Clacton to Clipbush Park on Saturday and then make the short journey to Wroxham for another league match on Tuesday evening (7.45pm).

Ben Darby scored a hat-trick and Tom East was also on target as the Ghosts’ second string beat Martham 4-1 at Clipbush Park to remain second in Anglian Combination Division Two. They are without a game on Saturday.