Fakenham Town reach League Challenge Cup Final after penalty shoot-out drama


- Credit: Archant

Fakenham Town have a cup final to look foward to in May after stretching their unbeaten run in all competitions to 13 games on Tuesday evening.

The went into their League Challenge Cup semi-final at Newmarket as underdogs but rose to the challenge superbly to go through on penalties after a 1-1 draw.

The Division One North outfit took just five minutes to take the lead as Matt Franks picked out Callum Brain who crossed for Jack Hurrell to convert.

The Jockeys got back on level terms just before the break when Ben Robinson’s shot was helped in by Sam Gomarsall and with no further goals in the second half the match went straight to penalties, with Fakenham winning the shoot-out 4-2.

They will play either Premier Division Long Melford or Benfleet from Division One South in the final at Diss on the Bank Holiday of Monday, May 6.

The Ghosts were involved in an historic game on Friday evening - and ended up being party poopers as they came out on top.

They provided the opposition for the first game under floodlights at Lakenheath’s Nest ground and an impressive crowd of 313 saw them win 2-1 to make it 11 unbeaten in the league.

Most Read

Fakenham took the match by the scruff of the neck in the first half, with a quick double from Brain putting them in control.

He fired home from 25 yards to open the scoring on 25 minutes and then doubled the advantage on the half hour mark after good work from Tom Blake and Ryan Curtis.

Lakenheath pulled one back five minutes from time through a Dan Tuddenham own goal, while Lewis Sturman was sent off late on after picking up a second yellow card, but the Ghosts saw the game out.

The win took them to within two points of second placed Mulbarton Wanderers, having played one more game. It is likely that only one team will go up this season, with leaders Harleston Town in pole position.

Fakenham travel to mid-table Ipswich Wanderers.

Fakenham Reserves beat Reepham Town 2-0 at Clipbush Park in their latest Anglian Combination Division One match (Luke Priestley, Rick Claxton). On Tuesday evening a young Reserve side featuring five Under-18 players were beaten 4-2 at home by title chasing UEA.

Fakenham Reserves entertain Kirkley and Pakefield Reserves on Saturday (2.30pm) in what will be their penultimate game of the season.