Fakenham Town warm up for cup final test with an emphatic away win
- Credit: Archant
Fakenham Town have a big game to look forward to on Monday after rounding off their Thurlow Nunn League Division One North campaign with a big away win.
The Ghosts have a Bank Holiday date with top flight side Long Melford in the final of the League Challenge Cup - and should be in good heart for the game after winning 4-1 at lowly Wisbech St Mary to finish a highly respectable sixth in the table.
Callum Brain struck in the 33rd minute to give the visitors a narrow advantage at the break - and they took over in the second half.
Shane Akers made it 2-0 nine minutes in after good work from Brain and Connor Charlesworth and it was game over on the hour mark when Lewis Sturman converted from the penalty spot.
Wisbech St Mary reduced the arrears on 78 minutes but Brain restored the Ghosts’ three goal advantage two minutes later with a 25-yard free-kick.
You may also want to watch:
The only sour note for the visitors was a late red card for Tom Blake.
Monday’s cup final is being staged at Diss Town’s Brewers Green Lane ground and kicks off at 3pm.
- 1 Plans for market town homes back on the table
- 2 Holiday lets look forwards to seeing 'happy faces' as lockdown eases
- 3 'Ready to go' - Department store raring to reopen after 109-day wait
- 4 Town centre gets 'spring clean' ahead of high street re-opening
- 5 Owners of Pensthorpe pay tribute to patron Prince Philip
- 6 'Raring to go' - Barbers prepare for reopening
- 7 Tribute to loving and kind war veteran who opened school in Norfolk
- 8 Rare chance to visit famous walled gardens for only second time ever
- 9 Covid drive-through testing centre opens in town car park
- 10 Man sells bar after 19 years - but can't say goodbye