Fakenham Town hit for six after making promising start
- Credit: Archant
Fakenham Town were unable to build on an early lead as they crashed to a 6-1 defeat at Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division promotion-chasers Coggeshall on Saturday.
The Ghosts stunned their Essex hosts by going ahead on 20 minutes through Luke Gray and were still well placed at half-time, despite conceding an equaliser.
But it all went wrong in what was a poor second half display, with Coggeshall scoring five times to take the points.
Ross Wall led the way with a hat-trick while Tom Monk netted twice and Aaron Cosgrove was also on target.
A second straight league defeat following the morale-boosting 4-3 win at Wroxham at the end of the month saw the managerless Ghosts slip to third round bottom in the table.
You may also want to watch:
With no match at the weekend the club now has a little breathing space to consider the appointment of a new manager, with caretaker Alex Walpole having decided last week not to take the role. The search quickly resumed, with the deadline for applications having been due to close on Tuesday.
Fakenham are next in action at Walsham le Willows on Saturday, December 23 and then visit Thetford Town on Boxing Day before playing host to Histon the following Saturday (December 30).
- 1 Cambridge students get Fakenham question wrong on University Challenge
- 2 New owners of market town café want to keep everything local
- 3 Organiser humbled as 210 strong Land Rover convoy raises over £3,000
- 4 Kayaker found in pub after Wells lifeboat launched
- 5 Business owner feared heart scare would see dream shop opening dashed
- 6 Market town's Chamber of Trade set for relaunch
- 7 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 8 Are Fakenham businesses seeing an early rush for Christmas shopping?
- 9 'The company was becoming the story' - Under fire care home firm to sell up
- 10 Film that highlight natural park conservation set to premiere
New chairman Simon Barnes is hoping for a big get-together at Clipbush Park to see out what has been a difficult year for the club on a positive note.
He tweeted: “Ex players get to our home match on December 30, pay want you want, free buffet after match, cheap drinks, let’s celebrate going into 2018 as ONE club.
“Would also be great to see all Fakenham youth coaches at the game as well. They do a great job every week and deserve a lot of credit and thanks.”
It was an excellent day for Fakenham Reserves, who thrashed Poringland Wanderers 7-2 at Clipbush Park to move up to third place in Anglian Combination Division Two. Ross Brewster led the way with a hat-trick while there were also goals for Callum Brain, Ian Bulley, Liam George and Joe Harrison.
The Ghosts’ second string are at home again on Saturday against Acle United Reserves.