Fakenham Town looking to bounce back in FA Vase
- Credit: Archant
Fakenham Town dropped down to second from bottom in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division at the weekend after a 5-0 defeat at Brantham Athletic.
The Ghosts went into the fixture on a high, having picked up their first points of the season with a 2-1 victory against Ely City at Clipbush Park the previous Tuesday evening.
But their joy was to be short-lived as their opponents were ruthless from the start, running out comfortable winners.
The hosts opened the scoring in the 25th minute, having had more of the play leading up to that point, including hitting the Fakenham crossbar.
Brantham had a goal disallowed shortly after, much to the dismay of the players and management.
You may also want to watch:
Tommy Rix then had to be at his best early in the second half, keeping out an effort from distance.
Minutes later though another goal went in as Newson extended Brantham’s lead with a good finish.
- 1 'Absolutely fantastic' - Wells welcomes back punters as lockdown eases
- 2 'It's a win/win' - Fakenham group to sell merchandise at The Larder
- 3 Pints, pups and haircuts - Dereham delight at April 12 reopening
- 4 'Raring to go' - Barbers prepare for reopening
- 5 Plans for market town homes back on the table
- 6 Hospital's walk-in vaccine clinic suspended after poor attendance
- 7 Man sells bar after 19 years - but can't say goodbye
- 8 Who are candidates to be Norfolk's new police and crime commissioner?
- 9 Rare chance to visit famous walled gardens for only second time ever
- 10 'Ready to go' - Department store raring to reopen after 109-day wait
With 15 minutes remaining, Brantham added a third as Gunn finished smartly through Rix’s legs.
There was nothing the Ghosts keeper could do for the home sides fourth, an unstoppable shot from Smith finding its way into the bottom corner.
The hosts wrapped up the points with the fifth in stoppage time, as a ball over the top caused confusion and Bartlett tapped it home from a few yards out.
Fakneham: Rix, Akers, Gilchrist, Youngs, J.Williams (Kerrison), D.Williams, Skipper (Jarvis), Cantwell, Plumb, Harrison, Taylor (Beales).
The Ghosts take a break from league action this Saturday, as Huntingdon Town visit Clipbush Park in the FA Vase (3pm).
In Division Two of the Anglian Combination, Easton took advantage of the fact Fakenham’s Reserves didn’t have a fixture, leap-frogging The Ghosts’ second string who now have a game in hand over the league leaders.
A trip to face Acle United Reserves in the Cyril Ballyn Cup awaits this Saturday, with kick-off at 2pm.
Fakenham’s Ladies kick off their season at home on Sunday afternoon (2pm), hosting Sprowton Ladies in Division One of the Norfolk Women’s & Girls League.