Fakenham Town lose 3-0 at home in league opener
- Credit: Archant
Fakenham Town’s Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division campaign got off to a losing start on Saturday as newly-promoted Coggeshall Town ran out 3-0 winners.
There was almost a perfect start for the Ghosts as a long range effort from Kyle Plumb forced Walker into a superb save.
But in the sixth minute the hosts were undone at the back. A square ball into the six-yard box found Josce Syrett completely unmarked and he made no mistake in slotting home past Tommy Rix.
With 20 minutes on the clock Walker in the Coggeshall was again forced into a fine stop, as this time Reece Taylor tried his luck.
Moments later and another square-ball, this time to the penalty spot, did the damage once again, Conor Hubble beating Rix for the visitors’ second.
You may also want to watch:
The second half started off in complete contrast to the first, with neither side managing to break down the other. And it was only after 65 minutes that anyone had a real effort on goal, Fakenham’s Abbott rising high above those around to head goalwards, only to see Coggeshall’s Walker deal comfortably with the attempt.
The Ghosts made a double change on 75 minutes, with Conor Easey making his debut coming on for Lewis Sturman and Stephen Harvey replacing George Abbott.
- 1 Banksy-style doctor street art appears on shop front
- 2 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 3 A148 shut for 'most of morning' after serious crash
- 4 'It's opened my eyes' - What is it really like having coronavirus?
- 5 'Sickened' car dealer watches thieves on CCTV
- 6 'Don't mix, shop online' - People urged to go beyond lockdown rules
- 7 The areas of Norfolk where Covid cases are now falling
- 8 Hundreds of homes across Norfolk hit by power cut
- 9 Seven lockdown rules that could change
- 10 Lidl manager 'speechless' after stranger gives her flowers
But the changes didn’t deter the visitors from attacking, and they added a third a minute later, with Syrett once again the scorer, firing across Rix and into the far corner from a tight angle.
The last chance of the game for the Ghosts came as Harvey fired over the bar from close range, and manager Robbie Harris made his last throw of the dice as Lee Moran, also making his debut, replaced Taylor with 10 minutes to go.
Fakenham Town: Rix, Akers, Abbott (Harvey), Youngs, Garner, Franks, Cantwell, Sturman (Easey), Plumb, Taylor (Moran), Cary.
The Ghosts will be looking for a quick improvement in their fortunes with the visit of Wellingborough Town in the FA Cup on Saturday (3pm). The Doughboys, who play in the UCL Premier Division, also lost their league opener, going down 2-1 at Wisbech Town.