Fakenham Town lose 3-0 at home in league opener
- Credit: Archant
Fakenham Town’s Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division campaign got off to a losing start on Saturday as newly-promoted Coggeshall Town ran out 3-0 winners.
There was almost a perfect start for the Ghosts as a long range effort from Kyle Plumb forced Walker into a superb save.
But in the sixth minute the hosts were undone at the back. A square ball into the six-yard box found Josce Syrett completely unmarked and he made no mistake in slotting home past Tommy Rix.
With 20 minutes on the clock Walker in the Coggeshall was again forced into a fine stop, as this time Reece Taylor tried his luck.
Moments later and another square-ball, this time to the penalty spot, did the damage once again, Conor Hubble beating Rix for the visitors’ second.
The second half started off in complete contrast to the first, with neither side managing to break down the other. And it was only after 65 minutes that anyone had a real effort on goal, Fakenham’s Abbott rising high above those around to head goalwards, only to see Coggeshall’s Walker deal comfortably with the attempt.
The Ghosts made a double change on 75 minutes, with Conor Easey making his debut coming on for Lewis Sturman and Stephen Harvey replacing George Abbott.
- 1 Repair work set to get under way at 'carbuncle' property
- 2 Host of Fakenham Jubilee events revealed
- 3 Dentist staff working round the clock to address 'enforcement action'
- 4 The Female Fisherman 'overwhelmed' by national award win
- 5 Cadets head out for a week at sea
- 6 'An iron man in a wooden boat' - Tribute paid to legendary coxswain
- 7 'Beheading' comment sees councillor reported to police
- 8 Fakenham swimming pool plans - Everything you need to know
- 9 'It's scary' - foodbank volunteers lift lid on cost of living crisis
- 10 How the proposed energy price cap changes could affect your bills
But the changes didn’t deter the visitors from attacking, and they added a third a minute later, with Syrett once again the scorer, firing across Rix and into the far corner from a tight angle.
The last chance of the game for the Ghosts came as Harvey fired over the bar from close range, and manager Robbie Harris made his last throw of the dice as Lee Moran, also making his debut, replaced Taylor with 10 minutes to go.
Fakenham Town: Rix, Akers, Abbott (Harvey), Youngs, Garner, Franks, Cantwell, Sturman (Easey), Plumb, Taylor (Moran), Cary.
The Ghosts will be looking for a quick improvement in their fortunes with the visit of Wellingborough Town in the FA Cup on Saturday (3pm). The Doughboys, who play in the UCL Premier Division, also lost their league opener, going down 2-1 at Wisbech Town.