Fakenham Town lose 3-0 at home in league opener
- Credit: Archant
Fakenham Town’s Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division campaign got off to a losing start on Saturday as newly-promoted Coggeshall Town ran out 3-0 winners.
There was almost a perfect start for the Ghosts as a long range effort from Kyle Plumb forced Walker into a superb save.
But in the sixth minute the hosts were undone at the back. A square ball into the six-yard box found Josce Syrett completely unmarked and he made no mistake in slotting home past Tommy Rix.
With 20 minutes on the clock Walker in the Coggeshall was again forced into a fine stop, as this time Reece Taylor tried his luck.
Moments later and another square-ball, this time to the penalty spot, did the damage once again, Conor Hubble beating Rix for the visitors’ second.
You may also want to watch:
The second half started off in complete contrast to the first, with neither side managing to break down the other. And it was only after 65 minutes that anyone had a real effort on goal, Fakenham’s Abbott rising high above those around to head goalwards, only to see Coggeshall’s Walker deal comfortably with the attempt.
The Ghosts made a double change on 75 minutes, with Conor Easey making his debut coming on for Lewis Sturman and Stephen Harvey replacing George Abbott.
- 1 Housing bid blocked over foul sewage fears
- 2 South African chef and seven-courses: Town's newest bar and restaurant
- 3 RAF Sculthorpe prepares for take-off as reopening approaches
- 4 Mum left overwhelmed as daughter's Disneyland dream becomes reality
- 5 Your say - What's the best thing about Fakenham
- 6 Town to turn into Disneyland for Elsie after mum's plea for support
- 7 North Norfolk fish and chip shop among best in the country
- 8 'It did not deliver': Glamping site vows to improve after guests hit out
- 9 Pioneering boat will make Norfolk coast more accessible
- 10 Eyes-down for a full house as charity bingo returns to Fakenham
But the changes didn’t deter the visitors from attacking, and they added a third a minute later, with Syrett once again the scorer, firing across Rix and into the far corner from a tight angle.
The last chance of the game for the Ghosts came as Harvey fired over the bar from close range, and manager Robbie Harris made his last throw of the dice as Lee Moran, also making his debut, replaced Taylor with 10 minutes to go.
Fakenham Town: Rix, Akers, Abbott (Harvey), Youngs, Garner, Franks, Cantwell, Sturman (Easey), Plumb, Taylor (Moran), Cary.
The Ghosts will be looking for a quick improvement in their fortunes with the visit of Wellingborough Town in the FA Cup on Saturday (3pm). The Doughboys, who play in the UCL Premier Division, also lost their league opener, going down 2-1 at Wisbech Town.