Fakenham Town maintain unbeaten run in Ridgeons League First Division
Debenham LC 0, Fakenham Tn 2
Fakenham continued their march towards a top half finish in the Ridgeons League First Division as they recorded an excellent victory at high-flying Debenham.
The wet and windy weather made the pitch very heavy and rendered good flowing football almost impossible.
Town, playing into a strong wind, adapted to the conditions well, getting the ball out wide and putting some great crosses into the box.
Fakenham created some good chances with Ben Coe firing over from close range and James Tricks’ shot deflected wide after another strong run by Kyle Plumb created the opportunity.
You may also want to watch:
The Ghosts were looking the stronger team and took the lead on 27 minutes when James Page finished well after good work by Plumb and Coe.
Although Fakenham were dominating the match, Tom Rix had to make some good saves to keep Debenham at bay.
- 1 Thursford pumpkin house opens for its fourth year
- 2 Why were barriers blocking these town centre benches?
- 3 Your say: What is your favourite TV show ever?
- 4 Former sixth form land could be divided up and sold
- 5 The most popular baby names in Norfolk in 2020 are revealed
- 6 RNLI to add 5,000 more names to new lifeboat
- 7 Vineyard's £250,000 new winery presses its first grapes
- 8 Property spotlight: See inside this barn conversion for sale for £1.6m
- 9 Hotel says bookings up a week on from Sunday Times nod
- 10 Property labelled a 'carbuncle' served urgent works notice
The wind had eased and the rain almost stopped for the start of the second half. Debenham started brighter but the Fakenham defence looked solid.
Matthew Gilchrist almost scored when the ball came to him from a corner but his well hit shot cannoned back off the post.
Tricks was then unlucky to have his goal ruled out for offside.
The heavy pitch was taking its toll on the players and this opened the game up. With this in mind Ryan Pearson and Karl Pask replaced Jason Pease and Coe.
Fakenham finally got the second goal to make the game safe when Gilchrist took the ball from halfway and hit an unstoppable shot from 30 yards.
The visitors safely saw out the last 10 minutes to take home the hard earned points and stretch their unbeaten league run to six games.
Next match for Fakenham Town is the visit of top of the table Godmanchester to Clipbush Park on Saturday.
Fakenham Town: Rix, Lee Day, Pease (Pearson 75), Gilchrist, Woodhouse, Garner, Coe (Pask 80), Jones (Greer 85), Page, Tricks, Plumb (Manning 85).