Fakenham Town remain in hunt for promotion
- Credit: Archant
March Tn Utd 1, Fakenham Tn 2
FAKENHAM maintained their promotion challenge with another three points at March on Tuesday night.
Following Saturday’s draw with fellow challengers Cambridge UP, Wayne Anderson’s team battled their way to victory to stay in touch at the top of the Thurlow Nunn League First Division.
The Ghosts took the lead on 28 minutes when James Tricks slotted the ball through for Ryan Pearson to finish.
Goalkeeper Tommy Rix pulled off a superb save to keep the home side in front just before half-time.
After the break, Sam Garner was denied by the March keeper, but Fakenham doubled their lead on 64 minutes when Tricks crossed for Pearson to net his second.
March ensured a grandstand finish by pulling a goal back 16 minutes from time.
- 1 School heads reveal feeling of 'positivity' at start of term
- 2 Two rescued from sinking fishing boat
- 3 The day Linda McCartney flew into Fakenham
- 4 Headteacher says 'good' Ofsted rating a testament to hard work
- 5 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 6 Meet the couple who won holidays by the sea for a year
- 7 MAPPED: Where thousands of homes could be built in north Norfolk
- 8 Boris Johnson expected to announce easing of Covid-19 Plan B restrictions
- 9 'Over the moon' - Widower drums up £1,000 for caring hospice
- 10 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
But, despite six minutes of injury time, the Ghosts held on to take the three points.
Fakenham: Rix, Harvey, Dye, Gilchrist, Day, Harris, Garner, Page, Plumb, Tricks, Pearson.
n The Ghosts, who are now unbeaten in their last four league games – and have won three of them – are away to Braintree Town Reserves on Saturday.
n Fakenham held promotion rivals Cambridge University Press to a 0-0 draw at Clipbush Park on Saturday after the visitors had a man sent off.
The away side’s Chris Lindsay was red carded on 42 minutes for bringing down Fakenham striker Kyle Plumb just outside the box.
The Ghosts had a goal disallowed near the end and CUP went close at the other end, but the match remained goalless.