Fakenham Town remain in hunt for promotion
- Credit: Archant
March Tn Utd 1, Fakenham Tn 2
FAKENHAM maintained their promotion challenge with another three points at March on Tuesday night.
Following Saturday’s draw with fellow challengers Cambridge UP, Wayne Anderson’s team battled their way to victory to stay in touch at the top of the Thurlow Nunn League First Division.
The Ghosts took the lead on 28 minutes when James Tricks slotted the ball through for Ryan Pearson to finish.
Goalkeeper Tommy Rix pulled off a superb save to keep the home side in front just before half-time.
You may also want to watch:
After the break, Sam Garner was denied by the March keeper, but Fakenham doubled their lead on 64 minutes when Tricks crossed for Pearson to net his second.
March ensured a grandstand finish by pulling a goal back 16 minutes from time.
- 1 'Exceptional' - Fakenham jewellers thank town for warm welcome
- 2 Your favourite pub, café, restaurant and hotel in Norfolk revealed
- 3 First baby lobsters from Wells hatchery returned to the sea
- 4 Investigation into rape at disused rail track closed
- 5 Hundreds of noisy neighbour complaints in North Norfolk during pandemic
- 6 Your say - Your favourite landmark in North Norfolk
- 7 Your say - Fakenham's thoughts on 'firebreak' lockdown
- 8 Open for business - new cancer centre accepts first patient
- 9 Fakenham Beer and Gin Festival finally set to return
- 10 Memorial match remembers former headmaster and rugby player
But, despite six minutes of injury time, the Ghosts held on to take the three points.
Fakenham: Rix, Harvey, Dye, Gilchrist, Day, Harris, Garner, Page, Plumb, Tricks, Pearson.
n The Ghosts, who are now unbeaten in their last four league games – and have won three of them – are away to Braintree Town Reserves on Saturday.
n Fakenham held promotion rivals Cambridge University Press to a 0-0 draw at Clipbush Park on Saturday after the visitors had a man sent off.
The away side’s Chris Lindsay was red carded on 42 minutes for bringing down Fakenham striker Kyle Plumb just outside the box.
The Ghosts had a goal disallowed near the end and CUP went close at the other end, but the match remained goalless.