Fakenham Town remain in hunt for promotion
- Credit: Archant
March Tn Utd 1, Fakenham Tn 2
FAKENHAM maintained their promotion challenge with another three points at March on Tuesday night.
Following Saturday’s draw with fellow challengers Cambridge UP, Wayne Anderson’s team battled their way to victory to stay in touch at the top of the Thurlow Nunn League First Division.
The Ghosts took the lead on 28 minutes when James Tricks slotted the ball through for Ryan Pearson to finish.
Goalkeeper Tommy Rix pulled off a superb save to keep the home side in front just before half-time.
You may also want to watch:
After the break, Sam Garner was denied by the March keeper, but Fakenham doubled their lead on 64 minutes when Tricks crossed for Pearson to net his second.
March ensured a grandstand finish by pulling a goal back 16 minutes from time.
- 1 Market town set for 'modest' council tax precept rise
- 2 Surgery turns away people asking for 'spare' Covid vaccines
- 3 Covid cases fall in every area of Norfolk for first time since June
- 4 Armed police detain man after 18 hours of negotiations
- 5 Electrical store helps school's computer appeal
- 6 Where the pines meet the sea on the north Norfolk coast
- 7 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
- 8 'Full' foodbank gets new home as demand surges
- 9 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 10 Wetherspoon pubs reveal reopening plan after 'zero' sales
But, despite six minutes of injury time, the Ghosts held on to take the three points.
Fakenham: Rix, Harvey, Dye, Gilchrist, Day, Harris, Garner, Page, Plumb, Tricks, Pearson.
n The Ghosts, who are now unbeaten in their last four league games – and have won three of them – are away to Braintree Town Reserves on Saturday.
n Fakenham held promotion rivals Cambridge University Press to a 0-0 draw at Clipbush Park on Saturday after the visitors had a man sent off.
The away side’s Chris Lindsay was red carded on 42 minutes for bringing down Fakenham striker Kyle Plumb just outside the box.
The Ghosts had a goal disallowed near the end and CUP went close at the other end, but the match remained goalless.