Fakenham Town remain in hunt for promotion
- Credit: Archant
March Tn Utd 1, Fakenham Tn 2
FAKENHAM maintained their promotion challenge with another three points at March on Tuesday night.
Following Saturday’s draw with fellow challengers Cambridge UP, Wayne Anderson’s team battled their way to victory to stay in touch at the top of the Thurlow Nunn League First Division.
The Ghosts took the lead on 28 minutes when James Tricks slotted the ball through for Ryan Pearson to finish.
Goalkeeper Tommy Rix pulled off a superb save to keep the home side in front just before half-time.
You may also want to watch:
After the break, Sam Garner was denied by the March keeper, but Fakenham doubled their lead on 64 minutes when Tricks crossed for Pearson to net his second.
March ensured a grandstand finish by pulling a goal back 16 minutes from time.
- 1 Plans for market town homes back on the table
- 2 Holiday lets look forwards to seeing 'happy faces' as lockdown eases
- 3 'Ready to go' - Department store raring to reopen after 109-day wait
- 4 Owners of Pensthorpe pay tribute to patron Prince Philip
- 5 Town centre gets 'spring clean' ahead of high street re-opening
- 6 Rare chance to visit famous walled gardens for only second time ever
- 7 'Raring to go' - Barbers prepare for reopening
- 8 In pictures: The Duke of Edinburgh in Norfolk
- 9 'Norfolk was a special place to him' - MPs' tributes to Prince Philip
- 10 Man sells bar after 19 years - but can't say goodbye
But, despite six minutes of injury time, the Ghosts held on to take the three points.
Fakenham: Rix, Harvey, Dye, Gilchrist, Day, Harris, Garner, Page, Plumb, Tricks, Pearson.
n The Ghosts, who are now unbeaten in their last four league games – and have won three of them – are away to Braintree Town Reserves on Saturday.
n Fakenham held promotion rivals Cambridge University Press to a 0-0 draw at Clipbush Park on Saturday after the visitors had a man sent off.
The away side’s Chris Lindsay was red carded on 42 minutes for bringing down Fakenham striker Kyle Plumb just outside the box.
The Ghosts had a goal disallowed near the end and CUP went close at the other end, but the match remained goalless.