Fakenham Town return to winning ways
Fakenham Town 3, Long Melford 0
Fakenham Town got back to winning form when they entertained Long Melford with a convincing 3-0 victory.
After six successive defeats, Fakenham started brightly, but it was Melford who should have taken the lead when they were gifted three chances to score following uncertainty in the Fakenham defence.
After 35 minutes Ade Hayes put Town in the lead from the spot after they were awarded a penalty when Ashley Manning was bundled over by the keeper.
Fakenham were looking to stretch their lead but Melford almost equalised when they caught the Ghosts on the break just before half-time.
You may also want to watch:
Melford started the second half in determined mood and forced Tom Rix into action when he parried a shot and then blocked the follow up. Manning made way for Karl Pask on 55 minutes and the substitute was soon in the action when he was put through by Kristian Jones, forcing the keeper to make a fine save.
A few minutes later, Pask had another chance but his shot went just over after being set up by Sam Garner.
- 1 'Everything has to end' - Jeweller to retire after 16 years on high street
- 2 From lockdown hobby to high street shop - New Fakenham crafts store opens
- 3 A peek inside 10 Wells-next-the-Sea beach huts
- 4 Source of sound that mystified village revealed to be rocket testing
- 5 Beach hut rentals soar as people flock to the seaside
- 6 BBC Springwatch to return to Norfolk beauty spot
- 7 Decade old Fakenham salon could be turned into home
- 8 'In my dreams forever' - Brothers-in-law open street food takeaway
- 9 Voting open for students' Bluetooth device
- 10 Sisters of BBC judge hope to breathe new life into Fakenham pub
Melford had used all their subs and went down to 10 men when their left back hobbled off. This gave Fakenham more space to play and they used it well, Pask forcing the keeper to make another good save from a header following more good work from Garner.
Pask finally got his goal when he stayed calm to tuck the ball away from close range. Melford were under constant pressure and this led to Town’s third when James Page tapped in from close range.
Fakenham Town: Rix, Day, Pease, Greer, Gilchrist (capt), Garner (Goble 80), Page, Hayes, Tricks, Manning (Pask 55), Jones (Harris 70). Sub not used: Bamford.