Fakenham Town return to winning ways
Fakenham Town 3, Long Melford 0
Fakenham Town got back to winning form when they entertained Long Melford with a convincing 3-0 victory.
After six successive defeats, Fakenham started brightly, but it was Melford who should have taken the lead when they were gifted three chances to score following uncertainty in the Fakenham defence.
After 35 minutes Ade Hayes put Town in the lead from the spot after they were awarded a penalty when Ashley Manning was bundled over by the keeper.
Fakenham were looking to stretch their lead but Melford almost equalised when they caught the Ghosts on the break just before half-time.
Melford started the second half in determined mood and forced Tom Rix into action when he parried a shot and then blocked the follow up. Manning made way for Karl Pask on 55 minutes and the substitute was soon in the action when he was put through by Kristian Jones, forcing the keeper to make a fine save.
A few minutes later, Pask had another chance but his shot went just over after being set up by Sam Garner.
- 1 New special school opens doors to first students
- 2 Fakenham 2022 - What to expect for housing, retail, tourism and hospitality
- 3 Fakenham firms keen to protect customers as rate of inflation soars
- 4 How Covid restrictions will change in England this week
- 5 Further cold weather alert for Norfolk and Waveney
- 6 Pair of primary schools join Diocese of Norwich trust
- 7 Popular teacher, 55, died after falling down stairs, inquest hears
- 8 Council to sell land in 'Chelsea-on-Sea'
- 9 Medals awarded to esteemed military man to go under the hammer
- 10 MAPPED: Where thousands of homes could be built in north Norfolk
Melford had used all their subs and went down to 10 men when their left back hobbled off. This gave Fakenham more space to play and they used it well, Pask forcing the keeper to make another good save from a header following more good work from Garner.
Pask finally got his goal when he stayed calm to tuck the ball away from close range. Melford were under constant pressure and this led to Town’s third when James Page tapped in from close range.
Fakenham Town: Rix, Day, Pease, Greer, Gilchrist (capt), Garner (Goble 80), Page, Hayes, Tricks, Manning (Pask 55), Jones (Harris 70). Sub not used: Bamford.