Fakenham Town rue late goals
Swaffham Tn 2, Fakenham Tn 1
TEN-MAN Fakenham crashed out of the Red Insure Cup at the preliminary round stage after a controversial defeat at derby rivals Swaffham on Tuesday night.
The Ghosts took the lead on 24 minutes when Sam Garner set up in-form Ben Boyce and he stroked the ball past the keeper and into the net.
Fakenham twice had efforts cleared off the line, but had a reprieve just before half-time when Swaffham had a goal disallowed.
Swaffham were awarded a disputed penalty on 56 minutes to level the score, and 12 minutes later it got worse for Fakenham as Garner was sent off.
You may also want to watch:
The hosts then netted a late winner to move into the next round.
Fakenham: Walpole, Harvey, Parkes, Page, Gilchrist, Garner, Tricks, Coe, Plumb, Boyce, Harris. Subs: Sommerton, Steed, Jones, Williams, Youngs.
- 1 Last man alive to be born at country home celebrates 100th birthday
- 2 Fakenham Figures - Pensthorpe manager reveals his love for north Norfolk
- 3 Lifeboat launched to rescue broken down 30ft cruiser
- 4 Testing plea for visitors as holiday season heats up
- 5 Ever fancied 'forest bathing'? How being close to nature can ease stress
- 6 Siblings united for pop-up selling burgers and ice cream on farm
- 7 Youngsters camp out for 'Sharkitude' leavers event
- 8 First look at adventure trail ahead of opening
- 9 I don't fear change in north Norfolk - just keep what makes it special
- 10 Community brings flower power to village streets
Newmarket Tn 4, Fakenham Tn 4
FAKENHAM frittered away a four-goal lead as they drew at Newmarket in the Thurlow Nunn League First Division on Saturday.
The Ghosts appeared to be cruising as Ben Boyce hit a hat-trick and James Tricks also scored, making it 4-0 after 57 minutes.
But the hosts hit back with three goals and although Alex Walpole made some fine saves, he could not prevent Newmarket’s late leveller.