Fakenham Town rue late goals
Swaffham Tn 2, Fakenham Tn 1
TEN-MAN Fakenham crashed out of the Red Insure Cup at the preliminary round stage after a controversial defeat at derby rivals Swaffham on Tuesday night.
The Ghosts took the lead on 24 minutes when Sam Garner set up in-form Ben Boyce and he stroked the ball past the keeper and into the net.
Fakenham twice had efforts cleared off the line, but had a reprieve just before half-time when Swaffham had a goal disallowed.
Swaffham were awarded a disputed penalty on 56 minutes to level the score, and 12 minutes later it got worse for Fakenham as Garner was sent off.
You may also want to watch:
The hosts then netted a late winner to move into the next round.
Fakenham: Walpole, Harvey, Parkes, Page, Gilchrist, Garner, Tricks, Coe, Plumb, Boyce, Harris. Subs: Sommerton, Steed, Jones, Williams, Youngs.
- 1 'Absolutely fantastic' - Wells welcomes back punters as lockdown eases
- 2 'It's a win/win' - Fakenham group to sell merchandise at The Larder
- 3 Pints, pups and haircuts - Dereham delight at April 12 reopening
- 4 'Raring to go' - Barbers prepare for reopening
- 5 Plans for market town homes back on the table
- 6 Hospital's walk-in vaccine clinic suspended after poor attendance
- 7 Man sells bar after 19 years - but can't say goodbye
- 8 Who are candidates to be Norfolk's new police and crime commissioner?
- 9 Rare chance to visit famous walled gardens for only second time ever
- 10 'Ready to go' - Department store raring to reopen after 109-day wait
Newmarket Tn 4, Fakenham Tn 4
FAKENHAM frittered away a four-goal lead as they drew at Newmarket in the Thurlow Nunn League First Division on Saturday.
The Ghosts appeared to be cruising as Ben Boyce hit a hat-trick and James Tricks also scored, making it 4-0 after 57 minutes.
But the hosts hit back with three goals and although Alex Walpole made some fine saves, he could not prevent Newmarket’s late leveller.