Fakenham Town set for back-to-back tough Thurlow Nunn Premier Division tests
- Credit: Archant
Fakenham Town’s tricky start to the season will not get any easier when they welcome two of the sides expected to challenge for the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division title, writes Gavin Caney.
The Ghosts welcome Kirkley & Pakefield tomorrow who finished fourth last term and have picked up four points out of a possible six so far. The Royals also progressed to the next qualifying stage of the FA Cup by beating Hertford Town 2-1 in an extra preliminary round replay on Tuesday night.
Norwich United are the visitors to Clipbush Park on Wednesday evening and arrive with an even better pedigree.
The Planters have won all three of their fixtures so far this term and are, of course, the reigning champions.
Neil Jarvis’ Ghosts go into the clashes having tasted back-to-back league defeats and endured a frustrating 0-0 FA Cup draw with Huntingdon Town on Saturday. The replay was held last night – after the paper had gone to print.
You may also want to watch:
Things are not looking much better down the road at higher-level Dereham Town. They have picked up just one point from a possible nine so far in Ryman North and were humbled 3-0 by AFC Hornchurch at Aldiss Park on Saturday. Dereham’s cause at the weekend wasn’t helped by injuries to Sam Borrer, Ryan Crisp and Olly Willis.
“There is no need to panic, it is a long season, the goals will soon come. We still aim to strengthen the squad if the right players become available,” said assistant Neal Simmons ahead of the Magpies’ trips to Heybridge Swifts (Saturday) and Brightlingsea Regent (Tuesday).
- 1 Historic pub seeking new licence despite neighbour concerns
- 2 A real quacker! Town comes together for popular riverside day
- 3 'We will not be deterred' - Allotment user building group following vandals
- 4 Seven fire engines called to blaze on housing estate
- 5 Shed set alight, 16 broken into and pumpkins destroyed at allotments
- 6 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 7 ‘It went up like a matchstick’ - Neighbour’s horror at blaze
- 8 Two fisherman saved from boat taking on water
- 9 Fire crews still at scene as investigation launched into house blaze
- 10 Investigation into rape at disused rail track closed