Fakenham Town set to ‘tinker’ ahead of another showdown with Ipswich Wanderers

Somehow Ipswich's keeper managed to claw this Dion Frary shot out of the goal. Picture: TONY MILES

Somehow Ipswich's keeper managed to claw this Dion Frary shot out of the goal. Picture: TONY MILES - Credit: Archant

A second successive clash against Ipswich Wanderers kicks off the final week of Fakenham Town’s 2014/15 season, writes Gareth Davis.

The Ghosts are on the road to Humber Doucy Lane on Saturday (3pm) to take on the Suffolk outfit, just seven days after drawing 0-0 with them at Clipbush Park in a game rearranged from earlier in the season. Then the curtain comes down on the campaign with the visit of Newmarket Town on Friday, May 1 but for now it’s all about Ipswich and a chance to follow up the stalemate.

“It’s normally a decent pitch over there so we might be able to play a bit more football than we did on Saturday,” said joint caretaker boss Neil Jarvis.

“We’ve seen them now so we might just tinker with a slight change in personnel, perhaps a couple more offensive players. We’re only missing Stephen Harvey now as he missed Saturday with a calf problem, that might be him finished for the season.

“Kyle Plumb put in another good shift up top on Saturday, I was very pleased with him and he is slowly getting there, and it was nice to have the quality option in Ashley Jarvis to bring on.

“I thought Matty Dye was excellent, he has come back in now and done well, and James Page did very well too – they have both put in a few good performances now since getting back in.”

Saturday’s goalless draw – the third successive game between the two sides to end that way after both clashes in 2013/14 ended with blank scoresheets – saw both sets of players really struggle to impose themselves.

Most Read

Jarvis’ fellow joint boss Robbie Harris had the first half’s best chance, running from deep before rounding Ipswich’s goalkeeper only to see his shot cleared off the line, while in the second period the visitors passed up a golden opportunity when Nathan Mackenzie blazed high and wide from the penalty spot.

“The conditions were not conducive to good football but we battled and worked hard, and kept another clean sheet which we always look for,” said Jarvis.

“It gives you a platform to kick on and hopefully win the game and we had one or two chances where we perhaps could have done better, but I think at the end of it 0-0 was a fair result. We have tinkered with the shape of the team a bit and the lads know their responsibilities, and apart from the Kirkley game [a 4-0 home defeat] we have looked really strong.”

The result left Fakenham 12th in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division with 44 points from their 36 games played.

Fakenham’s reserves end their Anglian Combination Division Three campaign with a Clipbush Park clash against Easton, third.

Ben Pierce’s side cannot move higher than their current position of eighth.