Fakenham trip in vain
Saffron Walden Town 2, Fakenham Town 1Fakenham went down to their second consecutive defeat on their Essex away day.With Manager Wayne Anderson attending a family wedding, Neil Jarvis took up the reins and must have felt disappointed in the overall display, as they never really got to grips with their passing game.
Saffron Walden Town 2, Fakenham Town 1
Fakenham went down to their second consecutive defeat on their Essex away day.
With Manager Wayne Anderson attending a family wedding, Neil Jarvis took up the reins and must have felt disappointed in the overall display, as they never really got to grips with their passing game.
Striker Nick Bunting was away on holiday so Julian Delicata was drafted into the starting line-up, partnered by Jason Cole with Darryl Rose taking up a wider role.
But it was the home side that had all the early running and took the lead within six minutes, Fakenham conceded a free-kick on the edge of the area and Mitchel Das converted.
Fakenham were getting plenty of midfield possession but never looked like breaching the home defence, their best effort coming towards the end of the half when a they enjoyed a 10-minute purple patch. Delicata was put through by Rose for a one-on-one with the keeper but was denied a shot on goal by the keeper's arm.
- 1 Film studio which brought John Travolta to Norfolk shuts for good
- 2 Norfolk festival cancelled amid 'challenging year'
- 3 Drink driver caught at three times legal limit on A1067
- 4 Norfolk winery wins prestigious national award
- 5 Sparse and getting older - What the census says about north Norfolk
- 6 Fakenham farm bids to open field for dog exercise
- 7 Drink driving teacher crashed into church wall with baby in car
- 8 Villagers celebrate victory in 'battle of East Rudham common'
- 9 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
- 10 Headteacher set to depart school after 'proud' 12 years
Saffron Walden extended their lead in the 62nd minute when lax defending on the left allowed Conor a clear run to thread a low pass into the path of Ross Laird who scored from close range.
Fakenham again lacked penetration up front as changes were made. James Bamford made way for Jason Day, then Yiotis Alamanos replaced Royce Rawlings in defence and winger Jake Betts replaced the tiring Delicata.
With Mat Gilchrist pushed upfield Fakenham were creating more chances and they were rewarded with a penalty in the 84th minute, when a defender handled under pressure from Cole. Skipper Stephen Harvey stroked the spot kick wide of the keeper.
Fakenham have a home game against league newcomers Cambridge University Press on Saturday (3.00pm)