Fakenham trip in vain
Saffron Walden Town 2, Fakenham Town 1Fakenham went down to their second consecutive defeat on their Essex away day.With Manager Wayne Anderson attending a family wedding, Neil Jarvis took up the reins and must have felt disappointed in the overall display, as they never really got to grips with their passing game.
Saffron Walden Town 2, Fakenham Town 1
Fakenham went down to their second consecutive defeat on their Essex away day.
With Manager Wayne Anderson attending a family wedding, Neil Jarvis took up the reins and must have felt disappointed in the overall display, as they never really got to grips with their passing game.
Striker Nick Bunting was away on holiday so Julian Delicata was drafted into the starting line-up, partnered by Jason Cole with Darryl Rose taking up a wider role.
You may also want to watch:
But it was the home side that had all the early running and took the lead within six minutes, Fakenham conceded a free-kick on the edge of the area and Mitchel Das converted.
Fakenham were getting plenty of midfield possession but never looked like breaching the home defence, their best effort coming towards the end of the half when a they enjoyed a 10-minute purple patch. Delicata was put through by Rose for a one-on-one with the keeper but was denied a shot on goal by the keeper's arm.
- 1 'It is heartbreaking' - Landlord of 'wet-led' pub that still can't open
- 2 Brilliant light display in memory of late wife brightens up Christmas
- 3 Fakenham's clash with Hashtag Utd is 'biggest game in years'
- 4 Firefighters called to chimney blaze in Norfolk village
- 5 Farms, former rail lines and old buildings set to be sold off by council
- 6 Covid marshals hit the streets in north Norfolk
- 7 'I am devastated' - Mum of three has Morrison card hacked
- 8 'Festive fun for all' - Thursford's Enchanted Journey Of Light wows on opening night
- 9 New town bench divides opinion
- 10 Pedestrian in hospital after crash involving van
Saffron Walden extended their lead in the 62nd minute when lax defending on the left allowed Conor a clear run to thread a low pass into the path of Ross Laird who scored from close range.
Fakenham again lacked penetration up front as changes were made. James Bamford made way for Jason Day, then Yiotis Alamanos replaced Royce Rawlings in defence and winger Jake Betts replaced the tiring Delicata.
With Mat Gilchrist pushed upfield Fakenham were creating more chances and they were rewarded with a penalty in the 84th minute, when a defender handled under pressure from Cole. Skipper Stephen Harvey stroked the spot kick wide of the keeper.
Fakenham have a home game against league newcomers Cambridge University Press on Saturday (3.00pm)