Final-ball heartache for shock Norfolk Alliance Premier Division strugglers Fakenham
- Credit: Archant
Fakenham suffered the agony of losing by just one run as they continue to hover just above the relegation zone.
Chad Bowes’ early wickets left visitors Diss struggling on 54-4 during Saturday’s Norfolk Alliance Premier Division fixture. David Took was joined at the crease by David Cokeley and they batted with care but still dispatched any bad balls to the boundary before Cokeley was bowled by Toby Hood for 67.
Took followed soon after for an excellent 102 giving Diss a good platform to assault the final overs, which saw them end on 243-6. Bowes ended with 4-42.
The South African continued his impressive showing by scoring 53 as Fakenham tried to chase down the total. Paul Dunger (33 runs) and Cookes of Fakenham man of the match Lloyd Marshall (58) did what was required at 142-4 to keep their side in with a shout.
They added a valuable 80 runs before both departed with Fakenham nine runs short and with two overs in hand. Panic set in with wickets tumbling and the hosts required three to win off the last ball but could not quite get across the line.
Fakenham’s stuttering defence of their title – which sees them just 11 points off the bottom two – continues at Garboldisham on Saturday.
- 1 Plans submitted to transform soft play area to restaurant
- 2 Fancy dress runners brave elements for Pensthorpe festive 5K
- 3 Your Say: What do Fakenham people think of Norwich Street 'carbuncle'?
- 4 Hundreds gather for return of Wells Christmas Tide Festival
- 5 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
- 6 Sports centre hopes to unite members old and new for 50th anniversary
- 7 Parts of Norfolk could see 60mph winds as Storm Barra hits
- 8 How this north Norfolk cargo ship evaded the Nazis
- 9 'Horrendous' - Norfolk couple stuck in South Africa as Omicron spreads
- 10 Strong winds to continue as police issue flooding and debris warning