Final-ball heartache for shock Norfolk Alliance Premier Division strugglers Fakenham
- Credit: Archant
Fakenham suffered the agony of losing by just one run as they continue to hover just above the relegation zone.
Chad Bowes’ early wickets left visitors Diss struggling on 54-4 during Saturday’s Norfolk Alliance Premier Division fixture. David Took was joined at the crease by David Cokeley and they batted with care but still dispatched any bad balls to the boundary before Cokeley was bowled by Toby Hood for 67.
Took followed soon after for an excellent 102 giving Diss a good platform to assault the final overs, which saw them end on 243-6. Bowes ended with 4-42.
The South African continued his impressive showing by scoring 53 as Fakenham tried to chase down the total. Paul Dunger (33 runs) and Cookes of Fakenham man of the match Lloyd Marshall (58) did what was required at 142-4 to keep their side in with a shout.
They added a valuable 80 runs before both departed with Fakenham nine runs short and with two overs in hand. Panic set in with wickets tumbling and the hosts required three to win off the last ball but could not quite get across the line.
You may also want to watch:
Fakenham’s stuttering defence of their title – which sees them just 11 points off the bottom two – continues at Garboldisham on Saturday.
- 1 Housing bid blocked over foul sewage fears
- 2 South African chef and seven-courses: Town's newest bar and restaurant
- 3 RAF Sculthorpe prepares for take-off as reopening approaches
- 4 Mum left overwhelmed as daughter's Disneyland dream becomes reality
- 5 Town to turn into Disneyland for Elsie after mum's plea for support
- 6 North Norfolk fish and chip shop among best in the country
- 7 Your say - What's the best thing about Fakenham
- 8 'It did not deliver': Glamping site vows to improve after guests hit out
- 9 Eyes-down for a full house as charity bingo returns to Fakenham
- 10 Pioneering boat will make Norfolk coast more accessible