Foulsham FC say a big thank you
The players and officials of Foulsham FC have thanked everyone for their support which made their Carrow Road Norfolk Junior Cup final a very special day and one to remember (team picture on back page.
The players and officials of Foulsham FC have thanked everyone for their support which made their Carrow Road Norfolk Junior Cup final a very special day and one to remember (team picture on back page.)
As reported last week, Foulsham's dream of lifting the cup ended in heartbreak as a stoppage-time winner for West Lynn SSC gave them a 2-1 win.
The match started well for Foulsham on the perfect pitch when within five minutes Ben Darby won a header which flashed wide. Soon after Simon Prior got on the end of a through ball but couldn't get his shot away.
West Lynn then started to show their class with some slick moves, one of which resulted in a shot cannoning off the bar.
You may also want to watch:
Foulsham dug deep and were denied strong claims for a penalty. West Lynn kept Mark Bidewell in the Foulsham goal busy with some outstanding saves.
A corner was given away in the 35th minute and an unmarked Kieron Doherty gave West Lynn the lead with a good header.
- 1 'Everything has to end' - Jeweller to retire after 16 years on high street
- 2 From lockdown hobby to high street shop - New Fakenham crafts store opens
- 3 A peek inside 10 Wells-next-the-Sea beach huts
- 4 Source of sound that mystified village revealed to be rocket testing
- 5 Beach hut rentals soar as people flock to the seaside
- 6 BBC Springwatch to return to Norfolk beauty spot
- 7 Decade old Fakenham salon could be turned into home
- 8 'In my dreams forever' - Brothers-in-law open street food takeaway
- 9 Voting open for students' Bluetooth device
- 10 Sisters of BBC judge hope to breathe new life into Fakenham pub
Despite West Lynn piling on the pressure Foulsham held out until half-time. During the break the Foulsham dressing room remained upbeat. As the players came out to loud support from the 600 or so Foulsham fans who were at the game the second half started with some feisty tackles.
West Lynn again got the upper hand but were denied by an inspired Bidewell in the Foulsham goal. Foulsham's best reply came when Craig Knowles rounded the keeper and from a tight angle saw his shot cleared off the line.
With 15 minutes remaining and with typical Foulsham determination West Lynn were finally pushed back as the game opened up and Foulsham finally got more breaks going their way.
With seven minutes to play Foulsham's moment came when Prior latched onto a through ball, beat the keeper and slid his shot into the net to send the many Foulsham fans crazy.
Foulsham were looking like winners but just failed to play the killer pass and the game looked to be heading for extra-time. However, as the board went up for two minutes time added on, West Lynn had the final say as Palmer broke down the left, cut in and squeezed the ball past man-of-the-match Bidewell to finish the match in dramatic fashion and end a great, full-blooded cup final.