Foulsham FC say a big thank you
The players and officials of Foulsham FC have thanked everyone for their support which made their Carrow Road Norfolk Junior Cup final a very special day and one to remember (team picture on back page.
The players and officials of Foulsham FC have thanked everyone for their support which made their Carrow Road Norfolk Junior Cup final a very special day and one to remember (team picture on back page.)
As reported last week, Foulsham's dream of lifting the cup ended in heartbreak as a stoppage-time winner for West Lynn SSC gave them a 2-1 win.
The match started well for Foulsham on the perfect pitch when within five minutes Ben Darby won a header which flashed wide. Soon after Simon Prior got on the end of a through ball but couldn't get his shot away.
West Lynn then started to show their class with some slick moves, one of which resulted in a shot cannoning off the bar.
Foulsham dug deep and were denied strong claims for a penalty. West Lynn kept Mark Bidewell in the Foulsham goal busy with some outstanding saves.
A corner was given away in the 35th minute and an unmarked Kieron Doherty gave West Lynn the lead with a good header.
- 1 Main road through seaside town to close for five weeks
- 2 Obituary: Farm merchant who helped save revered brewing barley dies aged 81
- 3 Nurse relives crash drama as calls for road to be gritted grow
- 4 Face coverings no longer mandatory indoors as England returns to Plan A
- 5 Fakenham firms keen to protect customers as rate of inflation soars
- 6 Popular teacher, 55, died after falling down stairs, inquest hears
- 7 New special school opens doors to first students
- 8 The Floods of 1953 in Norfolk: Remembering the heroes who helped
- 9 Fakenham 2022 - What to expect for housing, retail, tourism and hospitality
- 10 30-year-old to take over as district council leader
Despite West Lynn piling on the pressure Foulsham held out until half-time. During the break the Foulsham dressing room remained upbeat. As the players came out to loud support from the 600 or so Foulsham fans who were at the game the second half started with some feisty tackles.
West Lynn again got the upper hand but were denied by an inspired Bidewell in the Foulsham goal. Foulsham's best reply came when Craig Knowles rounded the keeper and from a tight angle saw his shot cleared off the line.
With 15 minutes remaining and with typical Foulsham determination West Lynn were finally pushed back as the game opened up and Foulsham finally got more breaks going their way.
With seven minutes to play Foulsham's moment came when Prior latched onto a through ball, beat the keeper and slid his shot into the net to send the many Foulsham fans crazy.
Foulsham were looking like winners but just failed to play the killer pass and the game looked to be heading for extra-time. However, as the board went up for two minutes time added on, West Lynn had the final say as Palmer broke down the left, cut in and squeezed the ball past man-of-the-match Bidewell to finish the match in dramatic fashion and end a great, full-blooded cup final.