Foxes learn from university sides
Fakenham Foxes 0, Cambridge University 0Fakenham Foxes hosted Cambridge University in bitterly cold and snowy conditions with a good crowd of spectators braving the weather.
Fakenham Foxes 0, Cambridge University 0
Fakenham Foxes hosted Cambridge University in bitterly cold and snowy conditions with a good crowd of spectators braving the weather.
Cambridge brought a large squad of 27, a mix of first/second team and new players.
The Foxes had a squad of 17, a mix of experienced and new players.
You may also want to watch:
The teams agreed to play three 20-minute matches.
In the first match both teams took a while to settle in such cold conditions. The Foxes took an early blow with the injury of prop Helena, but the team mixed round so they could still contest.
- 1 'It is damaging' - Business frustrated as vehicles block shop front
- 2 Fakenham park dubbed 'drugstore' as fears raised over anti-social behaviour
- 3 New affordable homes in Fakenham for the elderly ahead of schedule
- 4 See inside the boutique hotel with spa centre reserved for guests
- 5 Daughter's tragic death from rare illness sparks dad's fundraiser
- 6 Concern as Covid test centre takes spaces away from shoppers
- 7 Rubbish dating back 40 years found in Fakenham litter pick
- 8 Norwich City promotion celebrated with new batch of £100 glass canaries
- 9 'Proud as punch' - Sports centre delighted with renovations
- 10 History made as heritage railway gets ready to reopen
Both teams had share of the play and some well-worked moves were tried out. It was solid defensive work from both sides that prevented a try.
Fakenham Foxes 5, Cambridge University 0
In the second match the teams played in a blizzard but didn't seem to notice as some excellent rugby was played.
Quick penalty taking by Megan allowed the Foxes to make precious ground. Cambs came back and pressured hard, moving ever closer to the line. The Foxes shot back to defend and Sandie held them up over the line.
The Foxes spotted space on the left and took advantage from the scrum with strong runs from Hannah, Mandy and Sian. Fakenham kept up the pressure and with good teamwork Mandy crashed over the line. Cambs came back hard but the Foxes defence was too strong.
Fakenham Foxes 0, Cambridge University 17
In the third match the Foxes were tiring and Cambs had saved the best until last, fielding most of their first team.
This did not deter the Foxes who battled on, willing to gain as much experience as possible. The Foxes were focused and took the game to the University with attacking runs.
Cams came back with relentless runs and their experienced backs broke through to score. Cambs scored another from a 5m scrum and converted.
The Foxes fought to the end with determination, but Cambs got a penalty and scored in the last play of the game.
Foxes Players of the Match: Megan Ryder and Sandie Toher.