Free-scoring Foxes go top
Fakenham Foxes 51, Stanford 0
Fakenham Foxes ladies’ rugby team went top of the Eastern Three League
It took the Foxes a while to settle. Mandy Warren picked up at eight and took play blind with wing and full-back support. The ball was taken in and given to full-back Jude Yarsley who drove players over the line to score.
The Foxes soon realised Stanford’s weakness and played quick ball to Kym Kendle on the wing, who powered from halfway to score. The forwards were solid which allowed the backs’ moves to work.
Katie Wheelhouse at 12 ran an excellent line and broke the defence to score. Just before half-time the ball was shipped across the pitch for Jude Yarsley to come into the attack and score again. Kat Smith, making her debut for the Foxes, put in some great tackles. Half-time: 24-0.
The Foxes took control in the second half and stole line-out and scrum. The Foxes took play across the pitch through hands to Kym Kendle who smashed past two players to run clear and score.
Hannah White at 13 was strong throughout on attack and clinical in defence. Amber Wadlow at nine, seeing a gap in the defence, made a speedy run to score.
- 1 Medals awarded to esteemed military man to go under the hammer
- 2 Fakenham 2022 - What to expect for housing, retail, tourism and hospitality
- 3 Popular teacher, 55, died after falling down stairs, inquest hears
- 4 School heads reveal feeling of 'positivity' at start of term
- 5 Dog bans could be extended at north Norfolk parks
- 6 MAPPED: Where thousands of homes could be built in north Norfolk
- 7 Soprano wins Norfolk Young Musician 2022 competition
- 8 Fresh grants for Omicron-hit firms announced
- 9 The day Linda McCartney flew into Fakenham
- 10 Award-winning Norfolk pizza restaurant launches frozen range
Tactical play saw Katie Wheelhouse again take the inside ball to crash clear and score. Stanford, still tackling hard and rucking well, could not get past or stop the Foxes whose Amber Wadlow broke again and made a tireless run to score.
Just before the end Kym Kendle smashed into contact and placed the ball back for captain Mandy Warren to pick up, step over and run blind. Stanford, unaware, could only turn to watch the ball being placed under the posts.
Players-of-the-match: Kat Smith, Jude Yarsley and Hannah White.
The Foxes put in a structured and confident performance and look forward to the top-of-the-table clash with Chelmsford at home on February 6 (kick-off 2.15pm). Supporters welcome.
A special thanks to coach Rex Hargrave and match sponsor AVN Arena Limited.