Free-scoring Foxes go top
Fakenham Foxes 51, Stanford 0
Fakenham Foxes ladies’ rugby team went top of the Eastern Three League
It took the Foxes a while to settle. Mandy Warren picked up at eight and took play blind with wing and full-back support. The ball was taken in and given to full-back Jude Yarsley who drove players over the line to score.
The Foxes soon realised Stanford’s weakness and played quick ball to Kym Kendle on the wing, who powered from halfway to score. The forwards were solid which allowed the backs’ moves to work.
Katie Wheelhouse at 12 ran an excellent line and broke the defence to score. Just before half-time the ball was shipped across the pitch for Jude Yarsley to come into the attack and score again. Kat Smith, making her debut for the Foxes, put in some great tackles. Half-time: 24-0.
You may also want to watch:
The Foxes took control in the second half and stole line-out and scrum. The Foxes took play across the pitch through hands to Kym Kendle who smashed past two players to run clear and score.
Hannah White at 13 was strong throughout on attack and clinical in defence. Amber Wadlow at nine, seeing a gap in the defence, made a speedy run to score.
- 1 From lockdown hobby to high street shop - New Fakenham crafts store opens
- 2 'Everything has to end' - Jeweller to retire after 16 years on high street
- 3 'In my dreams forever' - Brothers-in-law open street food takeaway
- 4 A peek inside 10 Wells-next-the-Sea beach huts
- 5 BBC Springwatch to return to Norfolk beauty spot
- 6 'I love the pine woods at Wells': Q&A with skipper Liam Pink
- 7 Decade old Fakenham salon could be turned into home
- 8 Sisters of BBC judge hope to breathe new life into Fakenham pub
- 9 'Heartbroken' - Shock after village play area ‘trashed’ by graffiti vandals
- 10 Beach hut rentals soar as people flock to the seaside
Tactical play saw Katie Wheelhouse again take the inside ball to crash clear and score. Stanford, still tackling hard and rucking well, could not get past or stop the Foxes whose Amber Wadlow broke again and made a tireless run to score.
Just before the end Kym Kendle smashed into contact and placed the ball back for captain Mandy Warren to pick up, step over and run blind. Stanford, unaware, could only turn to watch the ball being placed under the posts.
Players-of-the-match: Kat Smith, Jude Yarsley and Hannah White.
The Foxes put in a structured and confident performance and look forward to the top-of-the-table clash with Chelmsford at home on February 6 (kick-off 2.15pm). Supporters welcome.
A special thanks to coach Rex Hargrave and match sponsor AVN Arena Limited.